[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Generating Real-time stereo Graphics on an ASUS VG278H - 3D Vision Blog - Forum

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Generating Real-time stereo Graphics on an ASUS VG278H
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 16:21 

Hello there!

I am trying to develop some Realtime 3d graphics for a project I am working on. I have bought the 3d ASUS VG278H monitor and a new PC with the Nvidea Geforce 550Ti. In terms of generating the content I am trying to use PyOpenGL but although I can output in "ANAGLYPH" mode I can not output in "SHUTTER" mode (the mode for "active" set-ups). Its not working :(

The advice I am getting from the python guys is that I need to upgrade the graphics card to a Quadro 2000 and maybe a new monitor too. So anyway I am going to get the new graphics card but I want to know if I need to replace the monitor, as was quite alot of money......?

The python guys say the monitor needs to be able accept sidebyside format, but some blogs I have read seem to indicate the monitor cant do this. (What format does it accept?) I have done some research on my ASUS monitor. and the final page seems to indicate that with an HDMI connection it can support side by side.

Do you think if I get a new Quadro card I can potentially use the ASUS monitor with an HDMI cable to show real-time sidebyside graphics?

If you don't think this will work, can I ask you what monitor would you might get?

I would take time to test the new card with the existing monitor but I haven't got time to get the new card and test before having to send the monitor back......

Thank you so much for any advice,

JP

Post subject: Re: Generating Real-time stereo Graphics on an ASUS VG278H
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012, 19:19 
Site Admin

3D Vision does not support OpenGL 3D mode, you need a Quadro card t be able to use the Quad Buffer OpenGL 3D mode.

The Asus monitor and the 3D Vision glasses can also work with Quadro cards (the Quadro graphics drivers have the needed support), so you are still going to be feeding the monitor with frame sequential input with the full resolution. I'm not sure how you can access the OpenGL stereo 3D capabilities via Python however...

You don't need Quadro card to feed the monitor with Side by Side 3D content, you should be able to do it with a GeForce card as well. I however haven't been able to activate Side by Side 3D mode over the HDMI on the Asus.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 10:18 

Thanks so bloody much Bloody. :)

I am going to probably be using this.

which is python based and supports stereo.

I have just managed to get my screen working with side by side with HDMI using just a photoviewer though and at a flickery 24hz

I changed setting on Nvidea control panel to
Display > Change Resolution > HD3d 1080p 1920 x 1080
On stereoviewer went to page flip setup and choose "3dvision" and "screen size" as your resolution.
I haven't investigated further as going to get the quadro.

So I was told I might need to change my monitor. But this is not the case you think?
I should be able to run frame sequential stereoscopic images straight to the ASUS using OpenGL?

I don't understand what makes a 3d monitor so special? Wouldn't any 3d monitor which has 120hz output be able to run frame sequential stereoscopic images? For what I want to do (generate realtime stereoscopic 3d graphics with shutter glasses) is this the easiest monitor for me or have I got fooled by the nvidea hype to get one of their recommended "3d vision" monitors? What monitor(or TV), graphics card, shutter glasses (and software/programming language if you know) would you have gone if you were on a bit of a budget?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Plough

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 10:42 
Site Admin

Yes, there should be no problems running the Asus in Quad-Buffered OpenGL with frame sequential output as long as the software supports it, the Quadro graphics and drivers do support the 3D Vision glasses and the ASUS VG278H with OpenGL for 3D.

From what I see in the documentation of the Panda3D software it seems that only anaglyph and Side by Side 3D output is currently being supported, so this can make things a bit harder. If you manage to make the monitor recognize the SbS output from the PC through the HDMI interface this could do the trick. From what I'm seeing a Quadro card will not do you any good as Panda3D does not have support for frame sequential QB OpenGL mode.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 11:33 

Hey again.

I am assuming the framebuffer-stereo 1 option might do the frame sequential?

What do you think?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2012, 11:28 
Site Admin

Yes, this one should probably do it with a Quadro card.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2012, 20:15 

Hello Jazz, I have got your same monitor here.
You could use Panda3D with NVIDIA 3D Vision on Windows with inexpensive consumer level graphic cards.
NVIDIA automatically takes care of the stereo 3D complications and you do not need to manually manage the stereoscopic mode in Panda3D.
However, be warned that some functionalities of Panda3D do not work with the DirectX renderer.
The most important functionality that, in Panda3D, works in OpenGL and not in DirectX is "shadows".
If you do not need shadows in your project, this solution takes only seconds to implement: you select the renderer as DirectX8 or DirectX9 and then you press Ctrl-T to activate the Nvidias drivers.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2012, 23:47 

Hi

I'm researching this stuff right now, I posted here asking some questions but didn't get a response but here's what I've found so far.

If you can create the matched L R images in the software you are using, you can generate 3D .MPO files that can be viewed by any nVidia 3D Vision viewer using Stereo Picture Maker or Stereo Movie Maker.

These can be viewed at full screen using the shutter glasses.

Both programs are free downloads.

I've used both of these in the past to create Anaglyph images and movies. They are easy to use and work well for what I've done.

I haven't done the 3D vision thing yet because I'm waiting for my new computer to show up. It should be here within a week.

I have the Asus VG278HE monitor, and a nVidia 3D Vision kit.
My new computer will have the nVidia 680 video card.

I create most of my 3D in Poser, by using clips from 3D games, or by combining the two, but I'm really looking forward to trying out 3D Vision.

Poser can be made to output matched left right .jpg images (either stills or animation frames) that can be converted to various types of 3D images.

Another option for converting the images is the software in the link below, it has a free trial so when I get my computer set up I'm going to try it out as well.

http://www.movavi.com/videoconverter3d/ ... MgodglIAqQ

I'd be interested in anything you find out when you get into it.

I'll check out the Panda 3D software.

Shutter glasses are all new to me too.

Mike