All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Tips on how to avoid physical "sideeffects" from 3D
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 23:14 

Hey guys.

Recently i read an article in the danish newspaper, about the physical sideeffects people were experiencing because of the 3D effect.
Probems as headeche, nausea and similair.

So, as many of us are playing games, and watching movies in 3D, i guessed a thread with tips on how to avoid these effects, would be handy. As these sideeffects might ruin the entire experience.

So, what are your tips on how to avoid it?

Post subject: Re: Tips on how to avoid physical "sideeffects" from 3D
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2010, 23:21 

Even tho i do not own a 3D vision kit yet, ive got a few to start off with.

When i received my new screen (Acer GD245HQ) ive got some of the same symptoms as mentioned in the article, tho i wernt using 3D.
But i went from a old, 19" 4:3 screen, that was very dark, to a new 23,6" 16:9 screen with very bright colours.

What helped me was:
- Better light in the room (placed a lamp behind the screen)
- Adjust the brightness and contrast level (got a program called Flux, that adjusts the brigtness and contrast, depending on your location and the time of day)

I have heard the shutter-glasses reduces the brightness alot, so it might not be a good option for 3D.
But even with the few things above, it didnt help much the first few times i played, but i got used to the size and brightness of the screen.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2010, 21:38 
Site Admin

The best tips are a bit of training for the eyes by watching good quality 3D content and the other one is actually to enjoy good quality 3D content, as 95% of the issues and trouble that people have when watching 3D content are because of the content itself not being done right ;)

However it is best to try watching some demo 3D content before buying a solution for home use, because although not many people, but some do have trouble getting 3D content or are not able to see it good enough because of some trouble with their eyes etc.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2010, 09:51 

So its abit like going from a small screen to a big screen, where your eyes need to adapt to the new amount of "information".

I have tryed a demo thing in the local store.
It wasnt a full 3D video they were showing, but a video with some 3D elements.
The 3D effect was amazing, but i think it was because of the video, not beeing full 3D video.

Is it possible to adjust the 3D effect? like, make it pop more out of the screen? :)

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2010, 21:32 
Site Admin

No, you cannot control the depth of a video... it is fixed depending on how the video was shot. You can however adjust the parallax bringing forward or back the 3D image which can help a bit, but with a tradeoff of some pixels on the sides (the sides get cut a bit).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 00:32 

Neither me nor my girlfriend have had a problem with 3d either in the cinema or at home on the acer (GD245HQ)