All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Blu-ray 3D on a PC with what output?
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 13:03 

Firstly great blog, i have found it very useful, I check everyday for news and stuff :)

I have a few nagging problems.

The HDMI port on my new Nvidia GTX 480 is a mini HDMI port which after contacting Zotac have stated it is only v1.3a compatible, so am I right in thinking you can only view Blu-ray 3D with a compatible Dvi-D to HDMI adapter with a v1.4 HDMI plugged into it then in turn plugged into a 1.4 compatible monitor (I have an Acer GD245HQ and no where can I find the spec of the HDMI port )?

Currently I use the DVI-D port for games and films.

If that is true how do you output the vision and sound to a 3D TV which Nvidia say they will support in a future update, do they intend to make a firmware update available for the 1.3a port to go to 1.4.

So 3 questions relay if anyone can shed some light.

1. Is Nvidia doing a firmware update?

2. Is 1.4 only going to be supported over a special DVI-D to HDMI cable? (I will use the Acer for games and another bigger screen for films)?

3. Is the Acer GD245HQ's HDMI port a 1.3 or a 1.4?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Blu-ray 3D on a PC with what output?
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 13:41 
Site Admin

It seems that you got things mixed up a bit... so here is a short explanation with answers to your questions.

There is currently no 120Hz LCD Monitor available that supports HDMI input for 3D content, all of them use Dual-Link DVI-D to push frame sequential signal, so if you want to play Blu-ray 3D on your Acer monitor you'll have to use the Dual-Link DVI-D cable (the HDMI on the Acer is 1.3). The HDMI 1.4(a) standard includes specifications for mandatory stereo 3D input types and these are intended for 3D TV sets, so if you want to use your computer to output 3D content to a 3D HDTV you can use a DVI-D to HDMI adapter/cable or also the mini HDMI to HDMI adapter/cable. But you'll have to wait for the Nvidia 3DTV Play software that will actually add the needed software functionality for that. The software should allow you to output stereo 3D content according to HDMI 1.4(a) stereo 3D specs even from HDMI 1.3 hardware or DVI via a converter, but lets wait a bit longer in order to see if and how it really manages - the 3DTV Play is expected to be released this summer.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 00:40 

i can confirm that HDMI onto a GD245HQ will not work, it will work using dual link DVID but not hdmi as i have both connected to mine

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 14:18 

i read the reply a while ago thanks for your help, i'm considering the acer 720p projector to watch blu ray 3d, on my 480 it has 2 dvi-d ports, will i be able to turn on/off as i wish the 3d ouput ( have both connections live at the same time)

what i want to be able todo is have my pc setup on my acer 245hq for gaming and windows, then to watch 3d blu ray turn on the projector and watch films (currently have cyberlink) without having to keep switching things on/off in the nvidia control panel.

also i have just read about the anydvd utility regarding hcdc, does that mean to watch blu ray 3d on the acer projector using cyberlink and a 480 it will not work ?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 14:53 
Site Admin

I'm not sure about the HDCP compliance of the Ace projector (60Hz only probably), but I'm pretty sure that you'll will also need the AnyDVD software running for the projector to strip down the protection in order to play Blu-ray 3D movies...

Profile WWW