[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Acer X110, W7, DLP Glases - "...all the gear no idea" - 3D Vision Blog - Forum

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Acer X110, W7, DLP Glases - "...all the gear no idea"
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 10:32 

Hello all,

I am fairly Techy and have all the 3d gear but have never ventured into a set up and to be honest, despite my Techie capabilities, I am completely not up to speed with 3D – I know I am behind the times by a long way here…

…Perhaps you could help?

My Kit:
*Acer X110 3D Ready Projector
*DLP Link Glasses (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Com ... 4ab9afdda5)
*Windows 7 32bit
*NVidia 430 Graphics card
*Drivers installed for graphics card are: 270.61

So as embarrassed as I am asking some of these questions I was hoping someone could help me out (sorry if I sound like a total putz!)

1) My projector is connected to my Home Theatre PC via VGA (I know old school) will this be okay to still enjoy 3D?

2) I read that I need to set the projector to run at 120MHZ but if I go to (right click on the desktop>screen resolution>advanced settings>change from 60HtZ to 120Htz… this then causes my projector to search through the inputs then settle on VGA, then search again – this process repeats and repeats. A restart then sees the PC return the settings to 60Htz. Will the fact I can only run at 60htz be an issue?

3) I understand that my glasses take the signals from the projector unlike when using the NVidia kit, however I am unsure how to test that I have a good connection between the projector and the glasses. Some people have mentioned you can see slight flickering of the glasses – I don’t see this.

4) Is there a picture or video test somewhere that I can play so when testing 3D I know it works so then I can move forward with Movies etc. In essence is there a simple and useful test set up / film clip I could use?

5) Is there a way to have everything on the PC in 3D? I mean do I have to have special games / films /Pictures – or can I run a program on the PC the emulates everything into 3D so I could for example watch TV through my media centre in 3D?

6) I have seen this link to the “Virtual IR Emitter” – must I use this? I am sure I could install if needed? viewtopic.php?f=9&t=997

7) I also see this for the projector – is this also needed? viewtopic.php?f=27&t=808
My Apologies for all the questions and likely many people thinking “this guy knows nothing about 3D” which is true – I truly am very behind with this stuff.

Many thanks for forum support in advance and anyone who can help me get moving in the correct direction.

Thanks

-LightsOn

Post subject: Re: Acer X110, W7, DLP Glases - "...all the gear no idea"
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 11:36 
Site Admin

1) VGA is Ok for lower resolution 3D projectors like the X110.

2) Make sure the projector is running at its native resolution of 800x600 pixels, then try to activate 120Hz mode. It needs to be set as primary and the only display showing image, do not use clone or extend if you have another display connected to the PC.

3) The synchronization signal that DLP Link glasses use is a part fo the image displayed by the projector, so you need something in 3D playing for them to work.

4) Essentially any 3D photo or a 3D clip can work for that, if you see the video doubled and blurry without the glasses and when you put them on it is clear when you look trough the lens of each eye then you should be Ok.

5) There are multiple ways to convert videos and maybe even live TV input into stereo 3D, however this is a bit complicated and does not always work well, not to mention that the autoconversion from 2D to 3D doesn't provide that good results most of the time, especially when you compare it to real 3D content. For games things are much easier as most of them are already rendered in 3D so with some extra software such as the 3D Vision, the iZ3D driver or TriDef 3D you can get pretty good results, though there might be various issues in different games not rendering properly in stereo 3D.

6) The 3D Vision IR Emitter Emulator may be needed only for some specific cases like if you want to use 3D Vision features, have in mind though that the X110 is not 3D Vision compatible projector, so you'll need an additional EDID override driver to make it seem like a compatible one. Furthermore the emulator is apparently not working in the more recent video drivers.

7) The EDID override driver is only needed if you want to make the projector seem like one officially compatible with 3D Vision. If you only want to watch movies in 3D you don't need that or the emulator. The video card you have is definitely not powerful enough for gaming, let alone gaming in stereo 3D mode.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 12:08 

Hi Bloody,

Thank you for taking the time to help me – Very grateful.

1) Okay great

2) It is the only display and the primary display – I shall try the native settings and see how I get on.

3) Still a little confused here – so the glasses just understand what speed to “flash at” to ensure the picture produced is seen correctly? I understood there to be a signal given out by the projector and received by the glasses? But you say they just flash at a set speed and the projector matches that speed – correct?

4) Okay so I could use this as a test correct? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jETNy_8v ... ure=relmfu

5) Okay so 3D Vision is mainly for Gaming, which I don’t do a lot of, I have more of a focus on watching TV and or Movies and or pictures in 3D. So I don’t really need to worry about the NVidia 3D Vision stuff then.

6) I am not sure what features NVida’s 3D vision would bring to the table if I am not gaming? Tweaking general 3D settings perhaps? I will try and read around these settings more to get a better grasp of this area in particular. I also don’t understand the EDID Override – I have updated the driver .inf to (H5360.inf) as stated here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=808 is that what you mean?

7) Okay so if I am not gaming this is no issue for me which is good news – when I bought the graphics card they did say if I was gaming this is not powerful but if I am just using for a media centre set up then tie would be fine. Sounds like that advice was fair enough then.

Thank you again for your help – very grateful.

Look forward to thoughts on the above and then will set out to test to see if I can get results.

Many thanks.

LightsOn

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012, 20:22 
Site Admin

3) The projector mixes the sync signal with the content being show, so you don't normally notice anything different, but the glasses do and synchronize accordingly so that they can shutter in sync with the 3D image being displayed by the projector.

4) Yes, you can download it with keepvid.com for example and play it with the Stereoscopic Player in software pageflipping mode

5) 3D Vision support is mostly needed for gaming in stereo 3D mode, though there are also alternatives to 3D Vision.

6) There is already quite a lot of software that supports 3D Vision and having compatible hardware may make things work in a simpler way than having to look for frame sequential 3D support (what the projector understands as 3D input by default).

7) Well, faster video card could also help for decoding Blu-ray 3D movies for example, instead of the CPU doing that, though in your case the GT 430 should be capable of GPU accelerated decoding of MVC encoded video.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2012, 17:05 

Hi Bloody and all,

Okay getting there.

I changed resoloution to 800x600 and then the projector was stable on 120Htz - okay colour was crap but curentl the need is to see if I can get things working.

When I then initiated the DLP Link on the projector I now notice the glasses have a flicker to them - so I now can confirm they work! :-)

I have downloaded the mentioned video and have played it through sterioscopic player. In sterioscopic play from install all i chnaged was to ensure the file was played in software page flipping mode and that the glasses selected were DLP link.

...sadly however the vidio did not appear in 3D :-(

I think the issue is now with the set up of a 3d file and sterioscopic player.

Any sugestions on what I should set up in sterioscopic player or perhaps even a better link to a file we are sure works well?

Many thanks.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 01:01 
Site Admin

Actually this video will not do, I just noticed that it has been encoded into anaglyph format and uploaded like that on YouTube.

You need a video in Side by Side format for example and when opening it you need to select that format in the player in order to see it properly in 3D on the projector.
Try with this video instead:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 11:49 

Hi Bloody,

Many thnaks.

I have downloaded the vidio, droped into sterioscopic player, selected side by side from the menue that pops up.....then nothing :-(

vidio plays, glasses seem to be working as can see a slight flicker when you look at a lamp or other light source, but the video is just not in 3d sadly.

any further thoughts?

many thanks again.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2012, 13:46 

Hi Bloody,

Good news! I had not selected software "software Pageflipping" under viewing method - selected this and shazam - 3d viewing.

Very please indeed and thnak you again for your extensive help - I am very greatfull.

I will now tinker to see how I can get a bright picture at the 800x600 120htz resoloution as it is very dark when selected but has to be to work. my normal settting are 1024x768 at 60 htz.

Mnay thnaks again everyone.

Kind regards,
Lights_On