All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 3D Vision on Optoma HD33 and 3DTV Play?
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 03:25 

Hi Bloody... First of all, I love your blog, highly informative!

I have a few questions regarding a 3D capable 1080p projector like the Optoma HD33:

1) I know we can't play 3D 1080p 60Hz on any projector due to limitations of HDMI 1.4. However, this particular projector (Optoma HD33) is not explicitly stated as a compatible projector on the 3D Vision website, but will I still be able to use 3D Vision with this projector for 720p?
I ask because this same projector is listed as a compatible projector for 3DTV Play:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play- ... ments.html

2) I believe the difference between 3D Vision and 3DTV Play is that 3D vision are the nvidia glasses vs 3DTV play allows someone to use the projectors glasses for 3D. So my question is what advantage do the nvidia 3D Vision glasses have over using the projectors included glasses using 3DTV play?

Thanks so much in advance!

Post subject: Re: 3D Vision on Optoma HD33 and 3DTV Play?
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 10:11 
Site Admin

The official support for HD33 is through 3DTV Play, I haven't tried it through 3D Vision, so I'm not sure if it actually works. The only advantage that you can get using the 3D Vision mode (you'll also need the 3D Vision glasses) is maybe slightly better compatibility with some games as compared to 3DTV Play, but you will not be able to use the 1080p 3D mode, so for that you'd need to go through 3DTV Play.

The HD33 has two options for the glasses, either DLP Link ones or RF 3D glasses based on BitCauldron's design (the same as MonsterVision Max 3D), bot of these should be offering higher brightness that you'd get with 3D Vision glasses. Other things like design and comfort differences are more subjective, the RF glasses for example also have quite large lenses which can also improve the experience on big projection screens.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 15:32 

Awesome, thanks for the very informative response!

So would you recommend the DLP Link or the RF 3D glasses for the Optoma HD33?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 16:27 
Site Admin

I haven't been able to compare them both on the HD33 projector, but I find the RF glasses to be a better choice than DLP Link glasses.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 08:46 

I'm running into a problem with my HD33 and Nvidia 3d Play. I'm able to stream MK4 video (SBS or TopDown) to my projector and use the RF glasses without any issues. However, when I attempt to watch any Nvidia 3d content, it won't render properly. I can go through the Nvidia configuration and see the different images during the setup process. The driver will enable and then nothing. I load 3d pictures, video, and it all shows 2d. I initially thought it was a resolution issue, but i've tried different setting with no luck. Any advise on how to get this working? Thanks.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 11:30 
Site Admin

Do you have a second display connected to the computer, if so try disconnecting it and using only the projector to see if the 3D will work properly then.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2012, 09:04 

Thanks for the tip. Still not working though. The projector comes on at 720p 60hz, which according to the Nvidia driver is 3D capable.
I can switch my input to the Blu-Ray player, and the 3D options are re-enabled on the projector. Its shown as 1080p 24hz.

I'm not sure what happened aside from attempting to use 3D-Play. I uninstalled it but still don't have 3D capability from the PC to Projector.

I re-enabled the dual monitor setup, using the 3D 1280x720 resolution on both, just as it was before. Still nothing. :(

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments:
res.JPG [39.38 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2012, 09:21 

I did a clean install of the driver and am now getting the option to enable 3D on the HD33 projector. However, I don't have Stereoscopic enabled on the Nvidia driver page, nor do I intend to until I figure out what the problem is. I can stream MP4 3D content and enable it, but I can't get 3D content native from the PC (Stereoscopic or 3D Play) to work.

I'll post if I figure this out. Very frustrating.