[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
2D to 3D Realtime Video Conversion with Avisynth Script - 3D Vision Blog - Forum

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 2D to 3D Realtime Video Conversion with Avisynth Script
PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 18:56 
Site Admin

For some time now I've been working on an Avisynth script (free and open source solution) for real-time conversion of 2D video to 3D with the help of some reader of the blog. The first version of the script was a bit rough and not very functional - more like a proof of concept, then the second version was more functional and improved, but still performing slow on 720p or higher resolution. The latest 0.3 version does not use the slow Reform plugin anymore as it is quite heavy for the CPU for real time processing of frames as Quadrilaterals.

This latest version can also take advantage of multi-core CPUs, just use the MT version of the script with the multithreading support included (version 0.8 for AviSynth 2.5.8). The multithreaded script is recommended if you have a dual or quad core processor and get slower framerates in order to get better framerate. Just as a reminder, this script is to be opened instead of a video file from 3D Vision Stereoscopic Player or the Stereoscopic Player in a Side by Side L/R format by default and is designed to be viewed on a computer that is equipped with a 120Hz display and Nvidia’s GeForce 3D Vision. Thanks to the help of Martin Haverland and based on some parts of eslave’s similar script the conversion can now also be used with anaglyph glasses, on interlaced displays etc. You just need to comment the StackHorizontal command and uncomment the respective mode you need to use in the script code...

To download the script and all the additional installation files needed:

The archive above includes single and multithreaded version of the script, along with the latest Avisynth and MT plugin needed for the script to work. You just need to change the video file name to a file you need converted from 2D to 3D inside the script and open the AVS script file in the player instead of the original video. The same can be done with VirtualDub or other video editor in order to generate a 3D output file instead of doing things in real-time with output only on the screen. What the script does is to create one frame difference between the frames for the left and right eye, makes quite good illusion of depth in objects... kind of Pulfrich effect. The second thing is to create a bit of distortion for the frames to further increase the effect. Two very simple things that create very impressive results, although it is still far from perfect as some objects are at wrong depth and there are some weird visual artefacts on some fast moving scenes, but still the end result is very good.

Some example 1080p movie trailers converted with the above script can be seen here: http://stereoscopic3d.wordpress.com/

-

The script is open and any suggestions for improvement are more than welcome, so if you have any good ideas please share them. Also don't forget to comment on how the script works for you...

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: 2D to 3D Realtime Video Conversion with Avisynth Script
PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 18:36 

hello bloody,

I tried to get your script working with stereoscopic player, but I would always get an error about "the output is not connected". I can post the detailed error log, when I'm at home... I ended up trying the 3Dfier demo, which worked quite well. How would you compare 3dfier to your script? Is it a similar effect? I still have to try the new version of 3dfier, but I'm not sure if it's worth the $25 price tag...

best regards

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 20:13 
Site Admin

What have you tried to do with the script exactly, please be a bit more detailed...

As for the 3Dfier, well, you can say that the results this script produces are comparable to the first version of 3Dfier. I also still haven't tried their new version that was just released today, but I plan to do so a bit later. According to the description the 3Dfier should be better now, but we'll see... ;)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 01:23 

well, I got your script working afterall! seems like avisynth hadn't been properly installed or was conflicting with a previously installed version. once I reinstalled it, the script was working fine! I quite like the 3D effect, although it only works on moving scenes (as I expected with the "pulfrich" method).

static scenes is where 3dfier tries to compensate by using a distortion effect that pulls out the left side of the screen, while pushing in the right side (or visa versa, depending on the L/R setting of the input file or glasses). I think their idea is okay, since many American films are shot this way: with the protagonist in the foreground of the left part of the frame... (great for Westerns) but any scene that doesn't adhere to this concept looks completely weird! if only they could implement a recognition algorhythm that would switch between the left and right halves of the frame accordingly...

PostPosted: 13 May 2010, 01:17 

What type of glasses and TV would work to view these tests?

PostPosted: 13 May 2010, 08:44 
Site Admin

The script supports multiple output formats, so it can be used on different setups. By default is creates a Side by Side output, which can work with most 3D HDTVs, but if you use a player like the Stereoscopic Player then you can get the Side by Side input and change the output to much more formats than the script originally supports...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 13 May 2010, 19:49 

Thanks Bloody! I've been working with your script for two months now. I've been able to do the side by side conversion. I attempted to watch it on a Samsung UN55C800 with Real D glasses but it didn't work. I've been able to do the red/cyan, interlaced, page flip, etc but I'm not able to see the results.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2010, 17:36 

Hi All,
User Branko (in the blog) did some nice work on the Avisynth scipt from the blog and fauxD from user eslave.
The actual archive of sctipts is available on his webpage.
He dropped some comments about this in the script 0.2b post...for those interested, the link is there, too.

As a beta tester for iz3d 2d->3d conversion within their upcoming media player classic 3d, I can recommend trying out his script, although it is still not a good performer, but try with non-realtime conversion / virtualdub.
The results of branko's script 0.8 are very close to the results of iz3d's beta algorithm....IMHO
It may need some tweaking, though.
But I was quite impressed.

greets,
Martin

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 05:55 

why don't you post the link for downloading Branko's script.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2010, 06:54