All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Just got a Acer GD245HQ screen, but!
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 19:45 

Hej guys.

So, now i finally got my Acer GD245HQ screen, and its simply amazing compared to what I had before.
Sadly I can't play in 3D yet :(, waiting for Bit-Cauldron to release their product (or is it just the Glasses, that Bit-Cauldron are gonna produce?)

But, are there any color or brightness levels i need to adjust? or are the standard settings the optimal?

By the way, I've noticed, when looking at a dark screen (f.x. when a game was loading) that the screen were blueish in the bottom, what is that? and how much of it should there be before i should send it for repair?

Hope you can help me a bit :)

-Best regards, Thomasjn

Post subject: Re: Just got a Acer GD245HQ screen, but!
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 20:53 
Site Admin

Bit Cauldron are only going to produce the glasses, they will be sold under other brands and names. But we are talking only about the hardware, the software that will support the glasses should come form iZ3D and DDD...

What you are seeing as bluish is backlight bleeding, it is normal to have it to some extent... all 120Hz models has more or less baclkight bleeding, not just the Acer and since they are high-brightness ,models and push it to the max when in 3D mode it is more visible. As for the settings the default ones should be Ok, but you can play to see if you can get better results, but no specific settings as there is difference between each unit... the best way would be to use a calorimeter to calibrate it, but there will not be a significant difference when playing in 3D.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 21:16 

Okay, thanks for the help bloody, its very apreciated.

But about the 3D-Vision.
If you do not own a nVidia grapichs card, you have 2 choices right?, iZ3D, and DDD/TriDef? (any new solutions on the way, that you know of?)
And i've heard its only possible to view iZ3D's 3D-vision on their own screens. So it seems like DDD/TriDef is my only choice, if i wanna play my games in 3D.
Have you tryed TriDef's 3D-solution? If yes, how is it compared to nVidia's?

By the way, what does the quality of the 3D-vision mainly depend on? the Software, or the Hardware (the Glass's)?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 00:00 
Site Admin

Both the iZ3D and DDD TriDef support multiple technologies for 3D, but none of them yet supports 120Hz displays and shutter glasses for gaming. No other up to date similar solutions for stereo 3D gaming are available as far as I know, the other alternative is the use of native support inside game engines. Both iZ3D and Tridef are not so optimized in terms of performance, because of not being tied to a specific GPU and don't offer support for DX 10/DX 11 yet (beta in iZ3D), but can provide better control and some additional useful features, and they may even sometimes give better results than 3D Vision.

And by asking about the quality of 3D Vision exactly what you are referring to? There are numerous things that affect the stereo 3D experience, both on the hardware and on the software level, so it is hard to even mention them, let alone start describing all of them... ;)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 10:43 

ah, hmm, the 3D tech seems more complicated than i expected :).

By quality i was thinking of image quality things like ghosting, and how many games they support, and if they support Direct X11.

It seems like its close to impossible, to play in 3D when having a ATI grapichs card.
Which is rather sad when i used 1550 Euro's on a new powerful AMD/ATI computer :/

Bit-cauldrons glass tech has some really nice features, and combined with updated software from DDD/IZ3D, or a new company, it could be an option for a ATI system.

Else it seems like i need to study if my Motherboard supports nVidia grapichs, and if its possible to trade my Radeon 5870 for one of the new nVidia cards somehow.

Or should i wait for something that uses the same tech (120hz and shutter glass's) as nVidia?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 11:34 
Site Admin

Your motherboard should not have any problems to work with Nvidia-based video cards, although you probably won't be able to use two or more cards in SLI. The good thing about the Open Stereo 3D Initiative of AMD (ATI) is that it is trying to get more things working together, but the bad thing is that when you rely on too much different partners for different things you can be late with a release of the complete solution and it might even not come out...

Bit Cauldron's active shutter glasses should also work with Nvidia graphics cards and not only with ATI, especially considering the fact that both iZ3D and DDD TriDef solutions are GPU independent even at the moment. According to some information we had to see the first solutions using these shutter glasses this summer, but the summer is kind of almost here and everyone involved is still kind of keeping absolutely quiet, which might as well turn out to be a bad sign.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 15:29 

Nice, so i have the possibility to put a nVidia video card in my machine if it doesnt look like anything will happend with ATI, or updates of DDD/IZ3D.

But i guess at the moment there is nothing else to do, than to hope for the best and wait, if you doesnt own a nVidia video card :)

Thanks for the help!