[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 386: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
LED 3D Monitors? - 3D Vision Blog - Forum

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: LED 3D Monitors?
PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 01:49 

Hey Guys.

Ive been looking for new screens around the internet, after reading about 3D vision on this blog :)
At the moment i see 2 option, the Samsung 2233RZ and the Acer GD245HQ, and both are LCD.

So my question is, is it technical possible to make a screen using LED, and still have 1920x1080 resolution and 120Hz?
The reason why i want a LED 3d monitor is to reduce the backlight bleeding, since ive heard its a major problem with LCD screens.

And another, maybe abit offtopic, question i would like to ask is: Do any of you guys know what new 3D Monitors we can be expecting this year?
im asking because, Im gonna get 3 screens for an Eyefinity setup, and i want one of them to be a 120hz screen, while rest beeing normal 60hz screens, yet of same size.
And as i aint gonna buy all 3 on same time, it could be nice to know possible sizes of upcoming 3D screens, so that the 3 screens for Eyefinity are same size :).

I hope you can help me abit here, since its hard to get a good view on the large market of Monitors.
And sorry for my bad english, but i hope you understand it :)

- Thomasjn.

Post subject: Re: LED 3D Monitors?
PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 05:09 

Viewsonic has an led back lit lcd coming out.

PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 09:01 
Site Admin

ViewSonic is the only one that has announced a 120Hz backlit LCD. But we are also expecting 23" model from LG and 23/27" models from Asus that are going to be with the traditional CCFL backlight...

One thing that kind of worries me is if the LED backlight will be able to provide enough brightness as this is quite important when playing in stereo 3D mode with active shutter glasses that do block some of the light coming from the display. Also using LEDs for the backlight instead of CCFLs does not guarantee that there will be absolutely no bleeding, I've seen monitors using LED backlight that still have bleeding issues, much less and harder to notice, but it is still there.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 11:43 

Thanks for the answers :)

Intresting, it seems like LCD screens are a bit ahead of LED.
If i am gonna get 120hz monitor for mainscreen in the eyefinity setup,
and for future 3D vision with Bitlords solution( i got ATI grapichs card), than it might be wise to find a good LCD insteed?
since only diffrence seems to be that LED costs more than LCD, and sometimes have, a bit more "real" colours, atleast thats what ive heard, i havnt seen the diffrence with my own eyes.

Can you guys recommend the Acer GD245HQ for both 3D gaming and non 3D gaming?
or should i wait for the models from LG and Asus to be realesed, in order to make the right choice of screen?

PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 12:19 
Site Admin

The Acer is Ok for both 2D and 3D, not the best for 2D ("plain 3D"), but still quite good. I'd be more worried about the fact that my 3 displays won't be the same and this possibly means some problems with getting them to have the same brightness, color reproduction etc. You can sometimes have trouble with these even with the monitors of the same model, let alone with 3 different ones... and then again there are also issues with adjusting the screen panels the right height, maybe the bezels being a problem too (tho think) and other external issues you might be facing.

As for the LED backlight, it can bring better color reproduction, wider color gamut, better black levels and thus also higher contrast and all this results in better looking image, but there can be some good and some bad LED implementations, so just having LED backlight does not necessarily mean the product will be better than a good CCFL backlit monitor. And don't mix the terms LED monitors with LCD monitors, the only we are talking for LCD panels in both cases, but the traditional LCD panels use CCFL backlight and the LED-based LCD panels just have the CCFL lights replaced with LEDs. The panel itself is still the same using LCD technology (TN, MPV/PVA or IPS-based) no matter what type of backlight it uses...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 13:15 

Ah, thanks for clearing up, about the LED/LCD thing.

As you mention 3 identical screen is the best, so it seems like i need to get some more cash, if i want to have both a good eyefinity experiance, and be able to watch 3D on atleast one screen :)

If 3D surround is supported with Bit-Cauldrons, it could also be a possiblity, if i get 3x 120hz screens, and my computer can handle it (most likely not, unless i put in another Radeon 5870 grapich card).

This is gonna hurt my wallet alot, but i hope that future 120hz screens (with 1920x1080) this year, will be priced below 400Euro's :)

Bloody, is it correct you have seen surround 3d with your own eyes?, if so, how is it? and is it worth the money? :)

PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 13:43 
Site Admin

Yes, I've seen it and played a bit with the 3D Vision Surround Demo system. In the video below I'm behind the camera... ;)

It certainly looked impressive in the games that were available: Just Cause 2, Need For Speed: SHIFT and Battlefield: Bad Company 2. But other than these games I'm not sure how well it performs, so it is a bit hard to draw a general conclusion. Anyway, I personally liked a lot that my peripheral vision is covered and I could also rotate my head left and right if needed and still be "in the game world" and it is still see in stereo 3D. But I suppose that not all games will be able to benefit from this, for movies for example it is a bit pointless as there are no 3D (neither 2D) videos in wide enough aspect ratio (48:9) that can cover all the three screens, so a Full HD video is only shown on the center screen. For working on the three displays in 2D it was quite comfortable for me with all that additional space on left and right, I needed just a moment to adapt to the difference and that you need to have wider horizontal mouse movements to move around the three screens. So in the end for me the 3D Vision Surround will probably be 50% for gaming and 50% for working more effectively in 2D mode, that is if I decide to go for such a setup... and I think I will after the 3D Vision surround drivers become available.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 14:28 

Yea, that video is just awesome.

With new drivers, new screens, and new tech coming, it will hopefully soon be possible to get 3D surround that can be used with most game titles. (hopefully prices for the screens drop, with some competition on the market)

But that video got me really excited, I cant wait to get a new 3D vision monitor, since I'm using a very old 19" LCD screen with 1280x1024 resolution and 8ms response time. :).

By the way, I guess the dream would be to play the upcoming "Crysis 2", in surround 3D :D
Tho, I have heard some talk about 3D vision, and I've heard it should be quite blurry, and ghosting a lot, so you wont get a sharp image.

I haven't had the chance to judge it myself, so whats your experience, does 3D give a more blurry and ghosty image, or does it give the same sharp image as without 3D?

PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 15:13 
Site Admin

The image quality in Stereo 3D mode is the same as it is in 2D, as sharp as the monitor can produce it. The 3D image is not blurry, unless you are watching at the screen showing 3D content, but you are not wearing the 3D glasses...

And the ghosting refers to having crosstalk between the images that need to be sent to the different eyes, so a part of the image for the left eye "leaks" into the view of the right eye and you may sometimes see shadows or halos around some of the objects. This is a drawback of the current level of the technology, so it is to be expected on all 3D solutions more or less, of course some implementations are better with less ghosting and some are not so good and have more ghosting. But if you haven't experienced it, you should go somewhere where you can try it... it is much better than just hearing someone explaining it to you or telling you if it is good or not... ;)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 14 May 2010, 16:56 

Wow, sounds awesome, i am gonna try go by the local computer stores to see if any of them have a computer where i can try the 3D.

And after that, its just to wait for Bit-cauldron to bring some news, and for LG and Asus to present their 120hz monitors ;)