All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Quadro FX3700 and LG passive stereo TV?
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 16:45 

Hi,
I have a (Shuttle) PC (Windows XP) fitted with a Quadro FX3700 stereographics card which is used to drive 2 projectors, each with a polarizing filter in front. Output is from two DVI ports on the card. I use molecular graphics software which generates two side by side (offset) images of the molecule in a window, with one output from one port, the other from the other port and so I get stereoscopic 3D. This works fine but the kit is rather bulky, needs a special screen, and takes a while to set up.

A passive 3DTV (e. one from LG) would seem to be an option, but I have no idea whether it will work with my kit, and if it does what settings I need to use in my molecular graphics software (Benchware 3D, PyMol, Discovery Studio) and graphics card control panel. A local shop will allow me to try it out on their premises, but I would like to know how to set it up first.

I will have to to use a DVI-HDMI cable and from only one of the DVI ports on the card.

Any advice to a confused biochemist with little knowledge of this technology would be welcome!

FergusD

Post subject: Re: Quadro FX3700 and LG passive stereo TV?
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2013, 22:11 
Site Admin

With passive 3D displays you need to just output the 3D image in Row Interleaved format. This means that both the left and right eye views need t be encoded in a single 2D frame, the odd lines make the left image and the even lines make the right image. So essentially you get half vertical resolution per eye, unlike when using two separate projectors with different polarizing filters. Other than that the situation is very similar to your passive 3D setup being used at the moment. And when you put on the glasses the odd and even lines are polarized differently and you get to see the right image for each eye to get the stereoscopic 3D effect.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 11:31 

Bloody,
Many thanks for that, you are very knowledgeable.

I take it this will be a setting in the graphics card control panel?

Generally I feel 3D TV etc could do with some serious standardisation! Also all the different connectors, HDMI, different DVI, VGA types, DisplayPort. Will nobody think of the users!!

Again, many thanks.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2013, 12:34 
Site Admin

It is best if your software can directly output in Row Interleaved format, this way it will be compatible with passive 3D displays regardless of the hardware being used. That is the good thing about passive 3D monitors and 3D TV sets, you can directly feed them with Row Interleaved 3D image and by just putting on the glasses you get to see the 3D image regardless of the interface being used, or the video card etc.

With 3D HDTVs there is a standard for the 3D, HDMI 1.4, however it has certain limitation at the moment so it needs further improvement.

Profile WWW