All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Asus VG278H - How much ghosting is OK?
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 14:22 

Hi there,

I'm new to this 3D stuff and I was kinda wondering about this monitor. I bought it recently and at first I didn't really notice it (also the depth was set on default in the driver) but now it's become quite visible. I'm guessing it's a perceptual thing, not a technical issue that appeared recently. Essentially, once you read about ghosting - you see it everywhere.

The question of course is - how much is ok and how much is RMA-worthy? :) I can remember something about this monitor offering "ghosting-free experience" in the ad, I guess that was pure BS judging from your review.

From my experience so far, ghosting differs from game to game and is always more pronounced at the top of the screen (depending on the game's color palette).

Yesterday though, I tried an older game - Alpha Protocol. My depth is now at ~50%. I noticed something strange. I can paste some pics once I get back from work.

There are these red-colored monitors on ceilings, right near the beginning of the game. If I point the camera at them - I can see a strong red-ghost of them in any eye, then after a half-a-second or so when I don't move the camera - ghosting subsides to the familiar 'almost-non-colored' version that most people see around "poles against clouds" etc. in games. But then after a few seconds I moved the camera elsewhere and the outline of the red monitor was still there, visible as a slight ghost for a couple more seconds against a different brightly colored background.

Is this normal? :) Is there something special about the color red? :) I can recall ghosts like that on my really old TV but I thought that shouldn't happen. :) Anyone tried Alpha Protocol or has it on hand and can take a peek at those red screens in 3D in the "Graybox" (that's the name of the base).

PS: I do not work for Obsidian and I'm not advertising Alpha Protocol. :)

Regards,
Marcin

Post subject: Re: Asus VG278H - How much ghosting is OK?
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 19:25 

So... yeah, I snapped a couple of pics through the right shutter (it's the same on the other one). My monitor contrast setting is at 60, Digital Vibrance at 75% (driver), Depth 50%, Lightboost 100.

Crosstalk while looking at "those things". These aren't just shadows, you can see full colors in the crosstalk. It's less visible towards the middle of the screen. Is this ok?

...then I look at the bright wall below - and the ghost of the outline is still visible for a couple of seconds. This one is of course more visible with both shutters... but if you look from afar you can see the outline quite well here too.

Again... Normal? Not normal? :) Halp. :)

Post subject: Re: Asus VG278H - How much ghosting is OK?
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012, 22:32 

It's a bit hard to say - some games tend to "ghost" a lot more than others in my experience and the white background on the wall in front of those red screens kinda doesnt help much on the subject.
There are some steps you can take to minimze crosstalk however: The first (and easiest) is to make sure your shutter glasses are fully charged (I know..stupid point but worth mentioning).
Also, head over to this article on the mainpage and try out the recommended adjustments - you can get rid of a lot of ghosting by finetuning your settings: http://3dvision-blog.com/6365-more-on-g ... d-monitor/

Also....try to download the sailboat-test and run it on your screen aswell --- easier to compare for you.