All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Crysis 2 - fake 3D?
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 18:24 

I was really looking forward to Crysis 2 but this article has got me concerned: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... emo?page=3

I realise that they could not do true stereoscopic 3D on the consoles because of GPU power limitations, but I really hope they give PC users the option to use 3Dvision instead of the CryEngine3 "Screen Space Re-projection" system. Crytek talk about "getting 3D for free" but nothing in life is free... I think the "doorway effect" (and other examples) are really important in FPS gaming, and I would be willing to take the performance hit to keep them. In HalfLife2 for example, just pick up a large object with the gravity-gun and walk through a doorway with it, you will see how powerfull the true stereoscopic effect is. I don't have an Xbox360, and the PC demo is still a long way off, so if anyone has been able to test the Crysis 2 demo in 3D I would be interested to hear your thoughts about it...

ps- this is also worth a read: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... ing?page=1

Last edited by Nick 3DvB on 07 Feb 2011, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Crysis 2 - fake 3D?
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 18:58 
Site Admin

I'd personally wait to see how their S3D implementation works on the PC and not judge based on console versions...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2011, 19:22 

I'm sad to say it but the PC version will probably just be a port of the XB360 version with some higher resolution textures and a few DX11 effects thrown on the top, if we are lucky. Given all the problems Crysis 1 has with stereoscopic 3D I really don't see nvidia making the effort to add good 3Dvision support when they can just use Crytek system instead, but I guess we will just have to wait and see...

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 08:37 

I remember seeing a video on gametrailers.com where they said that Crysis 2 will be Nvidia 3D Vision Ready. Therefore I have a feeling it will be far from "fake 3D." I have played the follwoing 3D Vision Ready games: Batman AA, Mafia 2, Resident Evil 5, Trine, and Metro 2033 and they all looked excellent with Nvidia 3D vision. Batman AA was the best overall. If Crysis 2 is truly 3D Vision Ready then I have high hopes that it will look great in 3D! I just hope my 480 GTX can handle it on high settings with 3d running smoothly.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011, 06:55 

James Cameron (AVATAR-blue people) apparently went by the CRYTEK studios and was shown CRYSIS 2 in 3D. Cameron apparently liked what he saw. That tells me that 3D aspect of it must be pretty good on the PC. I read this in one of the game magazines and I also saw it on a CRYTEK PR video on Youtube.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2011, 23:19 

I've just been testing the "unofficial beta" (leaked last week) and 3Dvision seems to be working ok. There are some problems, mainly with the gun position, probably because of the stupid FOV angel they have chosen, but hopefully this will be fixable with a 3D profile. I have not been able to compare it with the Crytek 3D because I can't get it working, it just seems to default to side-by-side mode, but anyone with a 3DTV should be able to test both systems, interlaced and dual-output modes are also supported. Hopefully we will able to use both types of 3D in the final game. The graphics look good, but nothing extraordinary considering its supposed to be a new engine (not like going from Unreal engine 2 to 3 or IDTech 3 to 4) but maybe the DX11 tessellation effects will improve things a bit. I have to say I think I prefer the original Crysis, it’s just my opinion but Crysis 2 feels too much like another Call of Duty clone... :(

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 05:55 

Well the official multiplayer demo is out now:

http://static.cdn.ea.com/crytek/u/f/cry ... r_Demo.exe

http://www.ea.com/crysis-2/1/demo

I just tested the demo and it seems to be hard-wired to "driver" mode. I'm pretty sure it's using SSRP, it looks ok but you can tell it's not normal stereoscopic 3D. There are a few bugs, like the nano-suit menu doesn't appear properly in 3D mode, anyone else get this problem?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2011, 10:49 
Site Admin

I'm downloading it to try it out... ;)

Profile WWW