All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: How to manually add displays to the 3D Vision driver…
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 18:53 

Nvidia can’t seem to be bothered to add the majority of 3D capable displays to their driver so I’ve been wondering if maybe we can do it ourselves? The EDID / CRT hacks work ok for most people but many DLP projectors seem to get stuck at 85Hz (even if they are 120Hz 3D capable) My Acer X1230PK is a good example, it has identical guts to the approved Acer X1261 projector but Nvidia just can’t be bothered to add it to the driver, I’m sure there are many others in the same boat.

It should be pretty easy to add devices manually, just copying the config info for similar devices that are already present. The device profiles seem to be stored in the “nvTimings.ini” and “nvstusb.inf” driver files, just editing these and re-installing the driver should be enough to make the wizard detect the display properly. To find your device ID just open the properties of “Generic PnP Monitor” in device manager and go to the Details tab, look at the device IDs and it should be in there somewhere, my X1230PK was listed as “ACR_3050”.

I’m still trying to work out how to get the installer to load the patched files, starting the installer and then replacing the files after they are extracted seems to be the best way, but we may need a modified installer. I’ll post more details when I get it working, any help would be appreciated though.

Cheers,
Nick

8-)

Post subject: Re: How to manually add displays to the 3D Vision driver…
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 19:43 
Site Admin

Please keep us updated on your progress...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 22:10 

Thanks for replying, Do you know if any of the officially supported displays use a monitor driver (inf file) I think they all just use the standard windows "Generic PnP Monitor" driver and use EDID to identify themself to the driver. Please someone tell me if I am wrong???

I tried adding a "GENERIC_MONITOR" section to the 3Dvision driver files but it did not work, I thought this might make the driver think that any display detected by windows as a "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" was 3D ready and pass the wizzard, but the EDID signal must over-ride this somehow.

I can get my projector working in 3D games using an EDID blocker cable and a customised monitor.inf (or by using a tool called Refersh Force) but I still have one really annoying problem:- 3D mode works perfectly at 120Hz for games but when I play any video (using Nvidia/Stereoscopic player or PowerDVD10) the refresh rate always switches back to 85Hz, I have tried everything I can think of (inf settings, Registry keys etc) but I can not stop this from happening.

The really stupid thing is that when I run the nvida 3D wizzard using a normal VGA cable (not EDID blocked) it actually switches the projector from 60Hz into 120Hz "3D mode" automatically, but then just stops at "No 3D disply detected" ! :x I think the only solution is to get the 3Dvision wizzard to accept the display as 3D ready, but if anyone has any other ideas I'd like to hear them.

I am sure this solution would help many other people, many 3D ready DLP projectors that are not officially certified by Nvidia are still being sold on the internet bundled together with the 3Dvision kit, yet there is not way to make them work at 120Hz , I have no faith in Nvidia bothering to add these displays to their driver, in fact they are probably refusing to do it to make people buy the more expensive certified displays, so if we want to get this working we are going to have to do it ourself! :ugeek: :D

I will keep trying but I am starting to run out of ideas so If anyone out there has the experience to help I would really appreciate it. If I get it working myself I'll post the details here.

cheers,
Nick

8-)

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 22:16 
Site Admin

They are identified through the EDID and the supported resolutions/refresh rates are send through it, and if you block it with the cable mod, then you need the driver to let windows know what the monitor/projector is capable of... 120Hz refresh rate for example.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 23:03 

Yes, I used an EDID blocker and inf hacks to get 3Dvision working on my trusty old CRT monitor, without these hacks it was stuck at the “Windows7 limit” of 85Hz, but with them it worked great at 144Hz for games and video. My problem is that the same type of hack just won't work on my DLP projector- it works great at 120Hz for 3D games but always switches back to 85Hz for video. I have no idea why this happens?

I think maybe a hacked monitor driver will never fix this problem, I need to find some way to fool the 3D driver / wizard to make it think my projector is a certified model. I think the 3D driver just ignores the inf and checks the EDID device ID against it's internal list of certified devices, (if the EDID is blocked completely it will also fail.)

This is why I am trying to find a way to add devices to this list, (in the same way Nvidia do it) I just hope there is not some other check inside the core driver files that we can not edit? was hoping to look at a “real” monitor inf from a certified display to get some ideas, if these devices don’t use one maybe we can still get their EDID info from the registry using tools like EnTech MonInfo or Phoenix EDID Editor? If anyone here has an Nvidia certified DLP projector I can send you these tools, it would be a great help

If we can find some way to add new devices it will save many people a lot of trouble, I am mainly thinking of DLP projectors because many models use very similar hardware designs to the certified devices, so we can just clone the settings from them. If all else fails I will have to give up and buy some DLP link glasses just to watch video but there must be a better solution! I’ll keep looking…

:D

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 14:00 

Uppppppp nick you found a solution? I have the same problem with Acer P1303W :(

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2011, 22:19 

I still haven't been able to add displays to the driver, so no solution using HDMI,

but you could try VGA with the EDID blocked: http://3dvision-blog.com/how-to-use-any ... 3d-vision/

Use this H5360 inf file: http://www.ixbt.com/dvd/benq/w600/Acer_H5360.inf (same spec as your P1303W)

Good luck with it! 8-)

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 15:50 

Nick 3DvB wrote:
I still haven't been able to add displays to the driver, so no solution using HDMI,

but you could try VGA with the EDID blocked: http://3dvision-blog.com/how-to-use-any ... 3d-vision/

Use this H5360 inf file: http://www.ixbt.com/dvd/benq/w600/Acer_H5360.inf (same spec as your P1303W)

Good luck with it! 8-)

Nick 3DvB you are the king :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 13:14 

Hey, I have bought a Benq mx518 but only after some time I have realized that it is not on Nvidia´s list. I know one can modify the driver to make the pc think it is actually another projector and run the 3d vision. I have googled for some time but was not able to find any driver/data. Help please.
Thanks

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2013, 09:14 

If I get it working myself I'll post the details here.