All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Nvidia 3D Vision 2, framepacked 3D or only SBS 3D?
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2013, 06:56 

Hi people, I've watched a few 3d movies in SBS format and read the other day the resolution is halved with Side by side 3D. I've always noticed a fine honeycomb effect in the picture which is a bit disappointing considering the money you spend on hardware, Im guessing the 3D format used to convert games also halves the quality because they have the fine mesh effect too

My question is, does an actual 3D blu ray drive give better 3D? I've read that 3D blu rays use the frame packed format, does that mean you get 1080p frames for each eye? I'm considering buying a 3d bluray drive but a little worried I'll find the 3d no better than SBS 3D movies

I have an ASUS VG27H connected through DVI and an ASUS GTX 680 Graphics card and NVidia 3D Vision 2

Cheers in advance

Post subject: Re: Nvidia 3D Vision 2, framepacked 3D or only SBS 3D?
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 03:50 

Hi! The information matters , not the carrier. I also have Nvidia 3D Vision 2, that came with my XPS laptop and tested different settings with the blu-ray drive I had.It is not external but according to my knowledge there is no difference if you watch a full blu-ray movie on your hard or your drive. I hope I was helpful!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 10:56 

If you are playing games, you will get full 1080p resolution at 120 frames per second. But only if you are using the DVI connector. If you use HDMI it is limited to 1080p at 24fps because the cable does not have enough bandwidth.

BluRay requires full resolution frame-packed top/bottom format, so the 1080p you would see from actual Blu-Ray discs will be full resolution, but at 24 fps. 48 fps sort of, because it's twice the data as a normal 1080p movie.

The SBS format is generally half the resolution, or effectively identical to a 1080p at 24 fps, non 3D movie.

The honeycomb effect you are seeing sounds like interlaced video to me, which I would only expect you to get if you are using a low quality HDMI cable, which would force it back to lower spec formats.

Use DVI, it's far superior.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 13:47 

Just love 3D gaming it just give me goose bumps I use SBS 3D seems to be the best for me.