All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Dual Sony HDR-SR11 Camera DIY Remote Control
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 16:26 
Site Admin

I was looking for a while for solution that will allow me to power up/down and start/stop recording simultaneously the two Sony HDR-SR11 cameras I'm using in a parallel rig to capture 3D video. At first I was using a single IR remote for the cameras to control them, but that proved to be a not so convenient and flexible as needed as there were times when just one of the cameras reacted to the command. So I went for another solution, got dual wired remotes Sony RM-AV2...

Then I've soldered wires to all of the buttons between the two remotes, so that when pressing a button on one of the remotes, the other one will also issue the same command at the same time without having to press the same button on the two remotes. I've already done similar thing with a much more simple remote shutter for Sony digital camera, but there things were much easier as there is a single button with two positions. On the Sony RM-AV2 remotes (they use the LANC protocol with and AV-R connector) there are much more buttons and that requires more soldering and more wires. The result is quite good as now I not only can power the two cameras simultaneously, but also start and stop the recording, focus and take photos and then zoom in and out with two different speed levels.

I've already recorded few short 1-2 minute longer test videos with that remote and did not have trouble with the sync between the two cameras, but that does not mean the sync may not drift apart when recording video for longer time, that of course is yet to be seen. Now I also need to get an external mechanical stabilizer to ensure that the recording of a 3D video with both cameras with them held in hand and not on a tripod can be shot as in this setup the built-in optical stabilization of the cameras is unusable due to the fact that it is not working in sync with both cameras...

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Dual Sony HDR-SR11 Camera DIY Remote Control
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 13:55 

I am very interested in your system! I hope to be doing the same thing. It was Thomas Kumlehn (KMQ) who mentioned this site on his OpenKMQ page.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 14:11 

I never thought about the image stabilization problem for hand-held dual cameras. That may be a problem which is difficult to solve. Would it be better to leave that control "off", and just do your best to keep the rig steady?

From what I have read, 3-D video has several problems with presentation. One is that the motion of cameras confuses the eyes. Another is that editing must be very carefully done, also to prevent eye fatigue. And the third problem is to have equal exposure in each lens. Even with my antique still camera, in some shots I can see that the angle of sunlight can result in two differently exposed images, even using the same f-stops and shutter speeds.

I think that if I were to be doing professional video in 3-D, I would always use a stationary camera, and for short scenes which require a moving camera (or zoom), I would shoot in 2-D and then do a 2-D to 3-D conversion for those scenes. I know that some people think this is "cheating", but Hollywood is doing it. Good-quality conversion also permits you to adjust the depth planes for more eye comfort. This can be useful for rapid editing of action scenes, where too much 3-D can be confusing.

But creativity only comes after the technology is perfected!

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 14:38 
Site Admin

The built-in stabilization of the cameras need to be turned off, but you can compensate for the shaking with a steadycam type of external stabilization to cover both cameras. There are a lot of things that work in 3D and even more that don't and the best way is to try and learn from experience...

It is one thing to be well prepared in theory and to know things, but it is entirely different when you need to put that theory into practice... so I'm learning on the go.

Here is a good book for the theory: http://3dvision-blog.com/3d-movie-making-stereoscopic-digital-cinema-from-script-to-screen/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 19:26 

It looks like an excellent book. Good luck with your work. Do you plan to put up some videos on Youtube or Vimeo?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2011, 19:52 
Site Admin

Thanks, yes I will after I finish with my DIY Beam-splitter camera rig that I'm currently working on.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 11:52 

I know, this is an old thread but I have a question: isn't it easier to use one remote control and solder a second av-r cable instead to solder every pin between each button of each remote control ?

Also I am interested in test videos if exsisting, thanks!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 12:46 
Site Admin

It would've been easier if doing that would work, but since it will not, you have to do it this way ;)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2013, 12:54 

Thanks for your fast reply. I will give them also a try with my two Sony HDR-TG3 camcorders.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 12:01 

Hi again. I have a dumb question: how did you opened the case of the remote control without damaging it ?