All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 3D shooting rig with two Canon T2i cameras?
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2010, 07:59 

Any thoughts on a DIY DSLR/Canon T2 rig? Any help would be appreciated...

jdv

Post subject: Re: 3D shooting rig with two Canon T2i cameras?
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 01:50 

well it is already tricky to shoot proper video with a T2i, so in 3D it could be almost impossible.
for several reason.
1) you would need to get pictures perfectly aligned (positioning of sensor into these DSLR is very variable, so there are many chance
you get a totally different framing from one camera to the other)
The problem is less present with camcorder, because the optics are built into the device.
Adding to this, even if you take 2 identical lens, there would be chances that you still get a big discrepancy in zoom and focus.
...remember, no autofocus or iris control while shooting !
2) you will get great DOF, usually seen as the big benefit of shooting with DSLR, but totally unwanted for 3D.

3) DSLR have a large body, so you could hardly have 2 of them side by side while keeping the interocular distance to a decent value (between 1 to 2.5 inches). So a mirror rig is mandatory.

4) price would be expensive, you could find 2 decents camcorder for the price of a T2i.

I mean, if you limit your shoot to steady scenes of landscape or buildings, it could be feasible with a pair of T2i, but for moving subject, forget it.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2011, 16:14 

Do you really like Canon t2i?
Why not consider other camera?

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2011, 06:09 

nosys70 wrote:
well it is already tricky to shoot proper video with a T2i, so in 3D it could be almost impossible.
for several reason.
1) you would need to get pictures perfectly aligned (positioning of sensor into these DSLR is very variable, so there are many chance
you get a totally different framing from one camera to the other)
The problem is less present with camcorder, because the optics are built into the device.
Adding to this, even if you take 2 identical lens, there would be chances that you still get a big discrepancy in zoom and focus.
...remember, no autofocus or iris control while shooting !
2) you will get great DOF, usually seen as the big benefit of shooting with DSLR, but totally unwanted for 3D.

3) DSLR have a large body, so you could hardly have 2 of them side by side while keeping the interocular distance to a decent value (between 1 to 2.5 inches). So a mirror rig is mandatory.

4) price would be expensive, you could find 2 decents camcorder for the price of a T2i.

I mean, if you limit your shoot to steady scenes of landscape or buildings, it could be feasible with a pair of T2i, but for moving subject, forget it.

3d film factory has a rig for about 3000 that you can use with the t2i
http://3dfilmfactory.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=91

but the problem with dslrs is lack of genlock. ive seen it done nicely using 5ds, but never anything with t2i so i am dying to know myself. (i wish 5d was cheaper) what im trying to find out is, if the sensor on the t2i can be reset, by clicking the shutter button, while its recording. i know that can be done with 5ds, but not sure about t2i. if the sensors dont process the image from left to right in sync, then the hd image will be compromised.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2011, 09:09 

also there is not defined distance for the interaxial(IA) between the two lenses. the farther the subject/object the greater the distance IA, the closer the distance, the smaller the IA

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 08:59 

I know this thread is old, but I made a videoclip using 2 canon T2i in a parallel rig.

You can watch it online at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xUCXoHTIxs

Please, see if it's viable to you as a 3D result from 2 Canon T2i.

Best Regards,

Daniel Farjoun
www.xyz360.com.br

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 18:28 

it is nice, the question is just would have been easier with 3D camera video ? what brings the t2i in these shot ?
Would you do it again ?

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 23:30 

Having built two side by side rigs, first using 2 xti's and then moving to the t2i's I can say that both rigs have been very usefull for me. Of course you can take 3d pictures with just one camera and have them turn out sometimes better than with a side by side rig. It all depends on what you are shooting. If you are shooting lots of action then you will need a tethered rig via a wired remote, just take two remotes and cut off the ends and splice them together with one remote and you have an extremely accurate way to sync your shots. I can take pictures using one flash for both cameras. If you are taking pictures of stuff that is not moving then one camera will work very well, I started using one camera before I built my system. Also, like some one already mentioned, a side by side rig will not work if you are shooting stuff at close range. Anything beyond 15 feet for the foreground will work, once you get closer the 3d effect will be too exagerated and eventually your brain won't be able to handle it. I generally shoot at 17mm to get the best depth of feild and angle of view which makes the 3d effect more noticeable. I would highly recomend using canon because of the wired remote functionality. An alternative camera that can use wired remotes would be a g-series canon which are smaller and relatively cheaper. Of course I am saying all of this as a photographer, video is an entirely different beast.