All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 2D cameras to 3D monitor
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2013, 13:00 

Hi all, I'm building up a a stereoscopic vision system but I'm new to this world so I need some advice.
What I'm thinking of is to use a couple of cameras with S-video/USB output, connect them to a PC, use Stereoscopic Multiplexer software to combine the double stream in a side by side format and view it on a 3D monitor through a DVI connector (I've got a Panasonic EJ-MDA32).

My questions concern Stereoscopic Multiplexer functioning:
1) Does it accept every resolution format? In the microcameras world it's not uncommon to find a 500x582 camera (http://www.medigus.com/medigus-products ... icrocamera), so I wonder what it'd be like.
2) What about hardware synchronization? If I use a couple of webcams from Logitech or the microcameras from Medigus mentioned above (or any other device that do not have a LANC port), how will stereoscopic multiplexer deal with genlocking?
3) Would it be possibile to send the side by side format through the DVI port of my PC to the DVI-D port of the Panasonic monitor? How do you do that, you just "plug in the cable"?

I'm sorry for the silly questions, but I'm new to all this.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 2D cameras to 3D monitor
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 10:26 
Site Admin

Stereoscopic Multiplexer is a simple, yet quite powerful solution, but it also has its limits.

1. It should work with most resolutions and drivers for USB cameras or others that use USB capture device. However if using a camera with lower resolution via a capture device you may have trouble with non standard resolutions due to limitations in what formats the capture card can output.

2. Stereoscopic Multiplexer does not support genlocking, you can do some sort of hardware synchronization between the cameras (if possible), but it cannot be controlled from the software. The software does pretty well but is mostly for preview and non professional capture, for professional needs what it does may not be enough.

3. Sending the Side by Side packed format is as easy as running the Stereoscopic Player in full screen mode with Side by Side output and Stereoscopic Multiplexer set as a Live Source input. Displaying that in 3D mode on the monitor however would require that the device has support for Side by Side and you activating that input 3D mode.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: 2D cameras to 3D monitor
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2013, 17:27 

Bloody wrote:
Stereoscopic Multiplexer is a simple, yet quite powerful solution, but it also has its limits.

1. It should work with most resolutions and drivers for USB cameras or others that use USB capture device. However if using a camera with lower resolution via a capture device you may have trouble with non standard resolutions due to limitations in what formats the capture card can output.

2. Stereoscopic Multiplexer does not support genlocking, you can do some sort of hardware synchronization between the cameras (if possible), but it cannot be controlled from the software. The software does pretty well but is mostly for preview and non professional capture, for professional needs what it does may not be enough.

3. Sending the Side by Side packed format is as easy as running the Stereoscopic Player in full screen mode with Side by Side output and Stereoscopic Multiplexer set as a Live Source input. Displaying that in 3D mode on the monitor however would require that the device has support for Side by Side and you activating that input 3D mode.

Thank you so much Bloody.
What about other SW, like DepthQ®Capture or Vegas Pro 12? It says that they can deal with genlock, but they don't explain how.