All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Hardware conversion solution from page flip to framepack?
PostPosted: 11 Jan 2013, 03:47 

G'day folks... Not sure which group is best to post this in, I'm sure a working solution would be of interest to many.

I want to finally find a way around NVidia's lack of support for 3DVision Surround on 3 screen 3DTV Play (HDMI 1.4 frame packed) environments. This applies equally to smaller desk-sized monitors as to 3 large format screens (which is what I want).

With the soon-to-be-available 2160p (4k) large format screens that support 1080p60 HDMI frame packed stereo3d with passive glasses via HDMI 1.4, I'd like to build a proof-of-concept.

Since I don't expect nVidia to help make this happen, I suppose what I need to go with my 3 EDID Doctors is to find 3 hardware converters that together can fool stock 3DVision into thinking it's talking to three supported 1080p60 displays, and convert the page flipped frames into HDMI SBS packed frames. The passive glasses would be used, only the 3DVision IR received needs to be plugged in somewhere.

I have not had luck finding such hardware converters... does anyone have a suggestion or alternate ideas?

Thanks for anything!

As an aside, for those interested in 4K/2160p/UHD stuff, it was quite something to see first hand at CES, and the 1080p60 3D on those screens was sweet too.

One thing to remember for anyone thinking of getting one of the more affordable UHD screens in 2013 for gaming... For HDMI 1.4, 2160p in 3D is a no-go, and 2160p30 is the 2D max.

We'll have to wait for HDMI 2.0 to be finalized this year, and compatible displays next year, for 2160p60 2D frames, and *hope* 3D frames too. They'd do at least 2160p24 3D for upconverted/next-gen Blu-ray for sure.

Makes you long for Displayport on your TVs, no?

- Frobozz

Post subject: Re: Hardware conversion solution from page flip to framepack
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013, 16:00 
Site Admin

I also haven't been able to find such as solution, there are multiple devices that are able to do the opposite, turn the frame sequential into frame packaged 3D. One thing that you should be careful with when thinking about such conversions is the input lag, image processing takes some time and if this leads to increase of the input lag and a lot of input lag makes it uncomfortable for gaming.

Profile WWW