All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Handheld rig with NEX-5's
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 17:33 

I would like to make a handheld rig for a pair of Sony NEX-5's. The camera is very small but take high quality photos and allows for interchangeable lenses. There seems to be a lot of large tripod mounted 3d rigs but I want to make something that is portable.

The sony NEX has a tripod mount screw on the bottom and a flash attachment screw at the top. I think I could put together a simple top and bottom rail to screw them together to allow sliding them further or closer together. I'm a little worried they would be able to twist as the screws are vertically aligned. I'm sure there would be a way to lock them to face the same direction but I want to keep the design as simple as possible.

As for the control I think I could use the infrared remote. I saw a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gc60vAPwEA that showed the remote working from the rear of the camera. Would it make more sense to use this or to try and mod the cameras to accept wired remotes?

Has anyone tried something similar? I want the quality of the DSLR in 3D but without having to lug around a gigantic frankenstein.

Post subject: Re: Handheld rig with NEX-5's
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 18:00 
Site Admin

You can try with the IR remote first to see how the two cameras will sync with it, if it doesn't work well you could consider going for a wired solution, but have in mind that even with wired remote they might not be syncing good enough...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 20:54 

OK I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase. Let me know if I have made any grave mistakes. I have these in the cart:

2x NEX-3 w/18-55mm lens @ $379
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MP ... PDKIKX0DER
(Saved $150 per camera with Nex-3)

1x Dual Camera Photo Bracket Mount 2 Twin Cameras for 3D 3-D Stereo Stereoscopic Photography @ $20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HK ... K1DEQYNJIS

1x RC-3 wireless remote for Sony cameras @ $8
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MQ ... QRDRYY6FXL

All in all total cost $780. Not too bad for a 3D DSLR portable rig.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 22:24 
Site Admin

I use the same camera mount, it should be Ok, but if you use it to mount the two cameras in parallel configuration you should check what will be the minimum interaxial distance you can get when the two cameras are as close as possible... the distance may turn out to be a bit more than you'd want to have for closeup 3D recording.

Also this handle can help you make rig more convenient for carrying when shooting, I do use it with the camera mount (mounted at the center of the plate): BARSKA Accu Grip Handheld Tripod System

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2012, 23:21 

The camera width (I assume is my min interaxial) is 11.7cm which is a good bit bigger than the average eye distance but I still think this is going to be a lot better than if I were using a set of full body DSLR's (around 23cm). I think the effect will be very usable at mid range. I actually would prefer having too much distance than too little when going for the 3d effect. If I want really close up images I'll stick with the 2D for now because it tends to be harsh on the eyes when viewing very close images in stereo.

I might see about making my own mount to flip the camera because I would like the interaxial to be exactly that of the human eye so the viewer isn't struggling with the difference.

PS I was looking at the foregrip you mentioned but I want to keep the total size to a minimum. I'll wait to play around with it before going much further.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2012, 00:28 
Site Admin

Flipping one of the cameras should allow you to get smaller interaxial and you can easily flip it in the post when you are actually going to be making the 3D photo from the images taken with the two cameras. Having on of the cameras flipped however may lead to problems with the proper alignment of the sensors, but with the high resolution of these cameras even if you have to do some adjustment loosing some of the resolution it should not be a problem.

If you haven't yet used the free StereoPhoto Maker app, then you should go and check it out, you'll find it very handy: http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2012, 00:43 

Are there S shaped tripod style screw mounts that could hold the cameras flipped or would I have to build my own? Building is not a problem but if it exists I'd like to use that.

I would love to see a simple cable connection and firmware that could configure a master-slave setup for the cameras. That way both would mirror all settings changed in one and one button press for both shutters. Oh to dream.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2012, 00:56 
Site Admin

There could be some already, but you better build one to perfectly match the size you need for the cameras you are going to be using.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 21:47 

Just arrived today. I haven't had a chance to take any shots yet but I thought I would give you guys a preview of what the cameras look like mounted together.

Attachments:
IMAG0145.jpg [865.26 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 23:54 
Site Admin

Looking good, have you measured the minimal and maximal interaxial distance you can get with the cameras mounted?

Profile WWW