All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Side by Side 3D
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011, 12:48 

Hi,

I have a Mac Mini connected to my Samsung 3D TV via an HDMI cable. I played a 3D movie which in fact is ripped to an .mkv container using a side by side set of images.
I've set my TV to transform 2D into 3D. It works almost perfectly.. almost, because, even by changing the settings of the TV to adjust the view depth - i can't reach the right balance: it's like the center of the left and right image are too far away from each others, giving terrible headache in 5mins watch.
I wonder if i need to or can change settings on my VLC media player ? or if there is any other ways to adjust the left and right pictures positions..

If you have any proposals..

Thanks !

Post subject: Re: Side by Side 3D
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011, 14:00 
Site Admin

Why would you want to do 2D to 3D conversion to a movie that is already in 3D format (Side by Side)? Just play it in Side by side format and set your 3D HDTV to Side by Side 3F format and enjoy it in real 3D instead of autoconverted 3D. The autoconversion does not always work well and it is never going to be as good as if a movie is already in 3D format...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 04:41 

When i play a 3D bluray movie with my PS3, the TV detects automatically the format and then the quality is best. But, the movie i have is not coming from a bluray disk, it has been ripped into an .mkv container and when i play it with VLC, the TV does not detect it as a 3D movie.. (you know these 3D video cameras, such like the Taiwan brand Aiptek does, generate side by side .mkv files) so whether the screen is clearly split into 2 images (2D - i have a black line in the center of the screen) whether i launch the 2D to 3D conversion option from my TV set and get the quality issues i mentioned before.
So, how can my TV detects 3D from .mkv, or, how can i force it to be 3D without 2D->3D conversion ?

Thanks !

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 11:35 
Site Admin

You need to manually activate the 3D mode for Side by Side input on the TV when you are playing Side by Side videos, the TV won't be able to automatically detect these. It can detect the PS3 3D output, because the console uses HDMI 1.4 frame packaging format.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 16:41 

I have the exact same issue .. even when side by side is manually turned on, I just cant get the image quite right

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011, 17:05 

I finally discovered i was under scanning the video output of my Mac mini, because some items were not displayed on my TV (strange enough that the 1080p output of the Mac and 1080p display of my TV aren't 100% compatible). By removing the under scan i could get the quality i was expecting.
It works perfectly now, as a 3D bluray..

Thanks anyway !

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2011, 21:40 

In side by side I have a hard time adjusting the image,it works on the PS3 ,but with my other editing software the 3DTV crops the image to much,the progam has a cropping software that you burn to a CD and then you can get the settings the 3DTV crops the picture at.
I have not tried it yet although.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012, 23:40 

I figured out why the panasonic 3D side by side was not working from my laptop output. I figure the TV is a 1080 and that was the best resolution setting from the laptop, but the Panasonic will not full screen to the outer edges and thus poor 3D video. Here is how the issue was resolved, on Windows desktop, right click on screen, then left click and select pesonalize, then go to display settings, then identify monitor which should be "2", left click monitor "2" which is the 3DTV and select the highest resolution 1920 x 1080 and click save changes.

I'm posting this because in a way it was very simple yet fustrating...
Now if I forget I will refer back to this post.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2012, 03:33 

I did a test with Magix Video Pro X 4 to see if the MVC (MTS) encoding is working from the Sony HDR-TD10, first I started filming the office for raw footage, then I used a card to cover the left image then moved the card foward and then covered the right camera then loaded the single track MTS file to the Magix Video Pro X 4.
Then in the program I saved just the right side then just the left side. The card only block the left side first then the right side in which the footage contained blocked the left and right camera, this proved for the first time this year that all the updates and codec's worked...Very happy...With Magix Video Pro X 4 I can custom tune the 3D effect when distances change.
I will make video on it...

I also have a Facebook 3D video page, join up
https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/194620377232131/

Now I know without a doubt the encoding and codec is correct I will see how the Blu-ray 3D turns out.

Attachments:
Video X4DSCF1349a.jpg [99.54 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Video X4DSCF1357a.jpg [122.37 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Video X4DSCF1361a.jpg [67.56 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2013, 18:39 

Here is a simple that anyone can make to check if your 3D software is set right.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE5s53JH ... yw&index=2

Profile WWW