All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 3d hw buy with respect to OS, gaming and movies
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2014, 22:10 

Hello all,

Im new to 3D technology and Id like to ask you few questions. My hw is win 7/ubuntu 12.04 dualboot, core i7 920, 4g ram, gtx 260 gpu.

Im considering new hardware, basically i want following:
priority:
- cheap HD projector
- being able to play 3D HD movies from mkv and youtube (dont have blueray drive) from Linux, windows 7 is so so and id like to avoid rebooting everytime as I work primary on Linux
- cheap 3D glasses, up to 4 people (so DLP si much better choice than nVidia)

nice to have
- 3D gaming under Windows, not really priority, dont mind hacks for each game, willing to pay later for 1 nVidia glasses for games if really necessary but DLP hack would be cool

I was thinking about buying BenQ TW523 projector and BenQ D4 glasses. Does it play 3D movies under Linux?
What is difference between BenQ TW523 and more expensive W770ST that is supposedly supporting "nvidia 3d vision"? I dont see any special connectors, etc, so both should be able to provide 3d vision with nVidia, correct?

Thank you for your responses.

Post subject: Re: 3d hw buy with respect to OS, gaming and movies
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 15:38 
Site Admin

Even if the hardware inside is the same, the official 3D Vision certification adds to the cost of the device. The good thins is that with an EDID INF from the officially supported model you might be able to make 3D Vision work on the other model as well.

For 3D movie support under Linux you might want to check out the Bino 3D player: http://bino3d.org/, for Windows: Stereoscopic Player or if you go for a 3D projector with HDMI 1.4 3D support PowerDVD or another Blu-ray 3D-capable software player.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 17:28 

Thank you very much, Bloody :)
Ill go for BenQ W700 with official certification. I have found relatively cheap nVidia 3D vision 2 kits on amazon with very cheap additional glasses, so theres no need to struggle with hacks. Thanks for your help.
Any suggestions for 3D greenhorn, what to take care of? I want to buy DVI-HDMI to connect projector to GPU, any other tips?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 18:14 
Site Admin

I would suggest to try and install the 3D Vision/3DTV Play driver on your computer just to be sure that the video card will work with your GPU as Nvidia has removed the older GPUs such as the GTX 260 from the list of supported graphics processors. If everything works fine you should be able to see the Stereoscopic 3D panel in the Nvidia Control Panel and be able to select anaglyph 3D only, before attaching a 3D Vision kit.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2014, 23:20 

Bought W700 and 3d vision set (1). Overall experience is great (windows 7). Few things:
- GTX 265 works just fine, no problems with compatiblity
- 3D vision display/projector has to be connected as only during test, then at least primary display
- there was no need for me to connect cable from IR to monitor/projector
- 3D vision sync has to be activated thru projector menu, it gets turned off everytime resolution is changed, dunno why
- downloaded movies work just fine with supplied software, just had to download codec pack and ffsync, some has more depth (Avengers), some dont (Avatar)
- in games I had to use native projector resolution 720p which actually increased my performace in 3D

3D effect is really wow, no visible blinking, no headache after 2 hours of use even to max depth. I was very surprised how ordinary movies and old games were suddenly really cool. Some new games are not very supported, probably as game engines get more complex compatibility drops.
Some movies projected to wall are really comparable to cinema (I have decent audio). Overall it was damn worth the investment, Im buying second set of glasses and going to invite friends to enjoy movies with me.

Havent tested linux so far, not sure what is possible with GTX260 or GTX465.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2014, 11:21 

Bloody, is it possilbe to buy cheaper dlp glasses and use them for playing movies along with nvidia 3d vision?
Is it possible to use glasses version 2 with version 1 IR emitter?

Thank you :)

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2014, 16:24 
Site Admin

DLP Link glasses are not using infrared signals like the 3D Vision, their sync signal is a part of the image being displayed by the projector.
3D Vision and 3D Vision 2 glasses are fully compatible, so you can mix both types on a single display device without problems.

Profile WWW