All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Stereoscopic image or video from common CAD file formats
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 11:09 

Hello all,

does anyone know of a way to take a CAD output file from one's favorite CAD program like Soldiworks (for example a .step file) and make a stereoscopic image of the 3D model? Or even make a short 3D movie, changing the viewpoint with time? Does a software exist which does that?

I know there are some solutions, mostly anaglyph ones for each particular software like Archicad, AutoCAD ... But is there a "universal" software which can take for example a step file from any of those pieces of software and output either a side-by-side, top-bottom or any other 3D format file showing the imported model from different viewpoints? If anaglyph solutions for each software exists then obviously getting two images for creating a stereo frame can be done rather easily. I would imagine the second part - packaging those images in a 3D file format, should also be a well defined process.

What I am searching for above would not require a stereoscopic graphics card since one would only make the 3D content on the PC and could then preview that on a different PC or player. Of course if anyone knows of a program which does what I am looking for but only works on a PC with appropriate stereoscopic graphics card I am also interested.

Names of any programs taking in a 3D CAD model and preview it in 3D on an appropriate PC in real-time without being able to export any 3D file formats would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Stereoscopic image or video from common CAD file formats
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2013, 17:47 

if the program is not made to provide stereoscopic output, you have to add a virtual camera,composed of two views.
the you can move the virtual camera on a path a save the 2 views.
sometimes you can find scripts or plugins so you do not need to create it.
Since 2005, solidworks support 3D stereoscopic (with CrystalEyes and then with eDrawing)