All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: How to display 3D live
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 16:49 

Hi,

I have probably been trying to make this too difficult ... but I want to find out how to use two video cameras to view a close up image and then show that image live in 3d.

The display I wish to use is a pair of Wrap 920 Vuzix glasses which can operate in a number of different 3d display modes ...

side by side
    red/green anaglyph
    red/blue anaglyph
    blue/amber anaglyph
    parallel and cross view

The reason is that I work on circuit boards with a lot of surface mount components and would like the visual aid of some fairly highly magnified images to help with my repairs.

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Roger

Post subject: Re: How to display 3D live
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012, 17:04 
Site Admin

What cameras are you using?

You'd have to capture the output from the two cameras and join the two video stream together to display it on the Vuzix glasses.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2012, 01:22 

Hi, I do have the glasses but haven't bought any cameras yet ... but figure I'm going to have to use a couple of small ccd cameras combined with perhaps 5 - 60mm 'CS' lenses to get my close up images.

My main problem is that even though the glasses can display the various 3D formats mentioned above ... I dont know or understand how to combine my 2 video signals in a way that the glasses can then display the signal in 3D.

I've just realised that perhaps if I was able to access both displays separately in my glasses then it should be a simple matter of feeding one camera to each display and I'd be done

... maybe I should pull the glasses apart and see if I can physically separate the input signals to each display. Could it be as simple as that? :)

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2012, 14:01 
Site Admin

The idea with the glasses might not be the easiest one to implement...

You may check this article for some ideas on how to implement the capturing of the video from the two cameras and then to combine it and send it as 3D signal to the glasses: http://3dvision-blog.com/3517-dual-camera-rig-live-stereoscopic-3d-preview-and-alignment-method/

Profile WWW