All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 3D modeling in stereo 3D
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2012, 13:02 

Hello,
apart from the Video Games and Video editing there is the topic of the other software that can be viewed in stereo 3D.
It would be nice to have a discussion area in this forum dedicated to such sw, which might include 3D creation tools (such as 3D modeling, 3D animation, game engines, etc.) and other sw (such as 3D desktops, 3D file/web explorers, etc.).

If anybody knows of 3D modeling tools which are compatible with 3D Vision or Tridef, TitaniumGL, etc., please share this information in this topic.
They could also be decent 3D modeling tools associated within game engines, not necessarily dedicated sw.

Maya and other tools work with 3D Vision Pro and expensive Quadro cards: Are there any alternative tools or ways to have such tools working also with consumer cards?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: 3D modeling in stereo 3D
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 19:41 
Site Admin

Some of the professional tools for 3D modeling and animation support stereoscopic 3D, however they are using Quad Buffered OpenGL and that is only supported on the professional level graphics cards from both AMD and Nvidia. If you have a Quadro card you can also use the consumer version of 3D Vision, not only the Pro one...

Profile WWW  

Post subject: 3D modeling with GeForce and 3D Vision
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 01:13 

Thank you very much for the reply and the advice that the consumer version of 3D Vision is compatible with the Quadro: you read my mind because I was searching that information when you sent the reply.

I take this opportunity to say that your blog and forum are absolutely outstanding.

Some years ago, you wrote an interesting article in which you explained about the Quadro vs consumer cards and about the professional applications beyond games and video.
http://3dvision-blog.com/1359-using-3d- ... lications/

In case somebody else is interested in 3D modeling as a hobby, and happens to want to use an existing consumer card, I will add to this topic what I will find out.

So far, I tested a few configurations which work with GeForce / DirectX:

(1) "Google Sketchup" + "Google Earth".
There is a button in Sketchup to send the work in progress to Google Earth which promptly displays it in 3D Vision.

(2) "Google Sketchup" + "Shade 3D Browser".
One can use Sketchup + Google Earth most of the times because of the very good integration plus run the "Shade 3D Browser" sometimes for cooler, out of screen effects. The "Shade 3D Browser" opens the Sketchup file format directly.

(3) "Shade 12" + "Shade 3D Browser"
Of course, the Shade browers opens also the Shade files.

A dual display setup is very useful because 3D modeling tools need several toolbars and viewports and only one of the viewports tends to be in stereo. In my case, I use a 3D projector as the stereo viewport and I perform the modeling on a secondary display.

For reference, here is my current PC configuration: GeForce 8800 GT + old drivers for emulator + Dell S300w projector + DLP glasses.

(Also, unrelated to this topic, I have a second stereo configuration: PS3 3.55 + MM which now supports stereo videos natively + "VIP Gamer" to translate HDMI 1.4a to the HDMI 1.3 DLP format of the Dell S300w)

Post subject: Re: 3D modeling in stereo 3D
PostPosted: 19 May 2012, 14:28 

I just posted a thread in the "3D Vision" section of the forum about this, but I've found that the Gadget Studios stereoscopic preview works great with the new After Effects CS6 ray traced 3D engine and the consumer (DirectX / GeForce) version of 3D Vision. Now you can extrude text or shapes made from vector layers into 3D space, add material options and real ray traced reflections, animate it, then preview in full screen stereo with 3D Vision. There are a few scripts (and one built into after effects) which will create virtual stereo camera rigs and give you convergence and depth controls. Two plugins from Red Giant, Trapcode Form and Trapcode Particular, can render extremely complex particle and point cloud systems in stereo in After Effects.

Next month there's a new After Effects plugin coming - Video Copilot's "Element 3D" - which will allow you to import OBJ's right into After Effects, apply textures, animate them, and presumably use stereo virtual camera rigs on those. Not sure if this will be integrated with the ray trace engine, but it will definitely have some surface and sub surface reflection features.

So After Effects is really coming into its own for 3D stereoscopic work with CS6, and without the need for a Quadro card or the super expensive Cineform plugin.