All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: UltraStudio 3d and Stereo Playback
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 19:52 

I'm running round after my tail looking for Stereo playback options on the Mac. Don't laugh...
I'm working on Stereo jobs in Nuke and wish to playback/monitor my work.

I've just bought a Quadro 4000 for a 2 year old MacPro that I want to do the main work on.
But I also have a Thunderbolt MacBook Pro.

So I have a few questions, they all link...

I've exhausted the Quadro/Mac Driver/3dVision options as I have no wish to go down a Windows or Linux bootcamp route.

And then I discovered the UltraStudio3d, and this seems a wonderful solution to work between my 2 machines.

On my Macbook Pro this seems perfect fit, but I presume I need to output to a 3DTV via HDMI and use it's provided glasses?

Or can I go straight into a monitor such as an Acer HN274H and use the provided 3dVision glasses with the built-in transmitter?
Are the 3dVision drivers in the monitor, or on the TV - non PC devices can be used with the monitor such as PS3 and BlueRay, so I presume all 3dVision support is in the Monitor, no Mac drivers needed?

And lastly, which would be the sweet bit, can I use the UltraStudio3d as a conversion box, and output Quad buffered 1080 60P 3d via the DualLink DVI on the Quadro4000, pipe that into the HDMI in on the UltraStudio3d, and then connect that via HDMI to a 3DTV or Monitor as above?

Or can I go Quad buffered 1080 60P 3d via the DualLink DVI on the Quadro4000 to a 3d Monitor with built in 3dVision and bypass the UltraStudio3d box?

sorry for the many questions, but this is a bit of a minefield.
All because of no 3d Quadro drivers for Mac.

thanks in advance for any input

mike.connolly

Post subject: Re: UltraStudio 3d and Stereo Playback
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 20:34 
Site Admin

The UltraStudio 3D supports HDMI 1.4a interface, meaning that you should be able to connect it directly to a 3D-capable HDTV or a monitor that can receive 3D over HDMI in the frame packaged format. So it should be compatible with any recent 3D HDTV using the TV's glasses (active or passive, based on the type of 3D HDTV). If you wan to use it with a 3D monitor you need to make sure that it has a built-in IR emitter and comes with some specific glasses as well as support for stereo 3D over HDMI 1.4 interface. So any 3D Vision ready 3D monitor with HDMI 1.4 interface and built-in IR emitter will work with the 3D Vision glasses, or Samsung's SA/TA series of 3D monitors that come with HDMI 1.4 interface and use Samsung active shutter glasses for example.

Not sure how Quadro works on a MAC and if it supports stereo 3D, without drivers you cannot output in stereo 3D mode, if the Quadro supports Quad-Buffer OpenGL you may be able to play directly 3D content on a 3D Vision ready monitor with 3D vision.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 00:13 

Bloody, thankyou!

You confirmed my thinking there, and give me a plan A and B.
The Quadro on Mac does support Quad buffers, just not the drivers for the 3pin DIN output for the glasses.
I'm returning my Alienware and 3dVision Pro 3pin glasses.

I will get the Acer HN274H (including 3dVision built-in) and try with the Duel Link DVI output.

If this doesn't work, then plan B will be to get an UltraStudio 3d and run it from my MacBookPro with the same Acer.
Which actually gives me far greater video options in general and I'll use it with my Panasonic AF100 too via SDI.

I feel an end to this journey...

mike

---

T h e E l e c t r i c P i g L t d .
~ bespoke digital tailoring ~
www.electricpig.net

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 01:40 

Well, I got the Acer.
And Nvidia, bless them released new Quadro OSX 10.7.3 drivers on March 1st.
So I upgraded my OS, installed the new Quadro and Cuda drivers, installed the Quadro, got my head around the video signals so got a new Dual Link DVI cable for the Acer and a Dual Link to mini display port cable for my 30" Cinema Display (the HDMI on the Quadro is only 1:3), powered back up, got both screens running at full res and the Acer at 120Hz, fed a stereo sequence via Framecycler (Nukes flipbook) and got a double image on the Acer, stuck on the switched on and charged glasses and...
...nothing happened.
And the light went off on the glasses,
so i'm not receiving a stereo signal from the card somehow.
A pic with my phone reveals no IR diodes alight.

Feel i made a massive step today, but still not the final piece to get stereo playback on a mac via a Quadro.
So wish I had access to some settings via the drivers or a system pref.

Someone is bringing in a PS3 tomorrow so I'll hire a 3d film and see what I can eliminate 'cos I'll then know the glasses and tv work.

I'll keep you updated Bloody, unless you have any ideas?

frustrating.

mike

T h e E l e c t r i c P i g L t d .
~ bespoke digital tailoring ~
http://www.electricpig.net

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012, 23:46 

Well as I listen to the echo of my own voice I just for the record want to list down my Stereo playback on a Mac findings.
Note this is for post work and playback, not gaming.

So my Quadro option was not successful. I managed to get a double image, 2 x 1080p 60p images overlaid on the screen of the Acer, running via Dual Link DVI from the Quadro, and I got my 30" Cinema Display running from the Display Port at full-res.
But it refused to play as a 3d image.

Acer has a built-in Vision3d IR transmitter, and comes with glasses, so something was preventing the glasses from recognising this as a 3d signal. Not 'phasing' it or something?? Not sure of the right talk here.

So, in desperation, but always my plan B, with the Acer bought accordingly, I bought the UltraStudio 3d.

And I finally have 3d after a mini-walkabout the web!

Now, it's not totally behaving as I wish. I've had to save my left and right as 25p QT's with the interlace button clicked, and am running in a 50i 3d world on the UltraStudio, (and it persists in listing side-by-side in the option when I try to list full frame) but I have proper Vision 3d running on my Acer from a Mac!

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome!

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 17:39 
Site Admin

So the UltraStudio 3D at least works, although there is more to be desired.

Profile WWW