All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Best mid-range still image 3d camera solution
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 21:26 

I am looking for the best image quality and light balance option to take 3d images to view on my 3d vision pc setup. I was looking to spend no more than $500-$800 in total. I have an HTC EVO 3D for quick on the go 3d images but the lighting sucks and the images all come out blurry. I had an Aiptek i2 that I wore out already. I played around with my friend's DSLR camera and was wowed by the image quality and focus effects. I would love to get this quality in 3d style. From what I have seen I have a few options:

1. Fujifilm w3 - bloggie style snapshot camera. -
This option seems a bit low quality from the images I've seen, and I already have the 3d phone camera for portable shots.

2. 3D Camcorder (JVC GY-HMZ1U) -
Takes stills but is a bit too pricey at $1,200 - $3,000 when I don't care as much about video and seems a bit bulky to take on vacations

3. DSLR with 3d lense cap -
Great image quality platform. I have seen Loreo and proprietary 3d screw on lenses. They result in half horizontal resolution but I figure with 18MP or more it wouldn't be too much of a hit. The Loreo 9005 looks funky and wide but I want something that has at least the separation of human eyes or more to get a real good 3d effect. The Panasonic Lumix H-FT012 looks like it has almost no separation and wouldn't produce much of any 3d effect.

4. DYI Two camera rig -
Seems a bit unruly and requires tripods and setup ect. I want this for carrying around at parties and on vacation so weird two camera screw-together setups seem like a poor option. I did however see the 3d case for the GoPro camera but that looks more like a video platform and it would be kind of annoying having to merge all images in post.

What should I invest in?

Post subject: Re: Best mid-range still image 3d camera solution
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 23:18 
Site Admin

The truth is that none of these offers smaller form factor, good quality and ease of use in a single device...

The first two options are far from offering even similar level of photo quality in 3D that a good DSLR camera offers in 2D mode.

The use of add-on lens for capturing 3D images with a single camera greatly depends on the lens' quality, but the results are far from perfect as well, you get them in an aspect ratio that is not very useable without cropping and the result in the end is neither high quality, nor high resolution image.

A two camera rig would probably offer the best choice in terms of quality, but it is not easy to carry and use, needs setup and adjustment every time, then it needs extra work to join the photos from the two cameras.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2012, 23:55 

How would the quality of the Fujifilm W3 compare with the half resolution of the DSLR with loreo?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 00:45 
Site Admin

On full resolution a good DSLR (Full Frames are not supported by Loreo) should be somewhat better in terms of quality as compared to the Fuji, also with not so good light the DSLR should be performing better with Loreo lens... but that is only if you need the full resolution images. However you need to crop the ones from the DSLR camera and the final resolution won't be that big actually. And you can resize the images taken with the Fuji camera to make them 2-3 times smaller in order for them to look better and still get decent resolution for preview on a Full HD 3D display or for publishing online...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2012, 18:53 

I have been looking at the Sony Alpha NEX mini dslr. It looks like it's about half the size of your typical dslr http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/ . I could get two and build a simple enclosure that could be carried easily. It would be more expensive but I'm willing to save up and build a rig if it would have a good quality payoff. I have access to a materials shop at work and know the people there could build something I spec out.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2012, 18:39 

Panasonic Lumix 3D1:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/3d1/index.html

anaglyph version:

anaglyph version: