All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: Using standard HD camcorders for 3D
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2011, 16:22 

Thanks Nosys70

All a little over my head I'm afraid as I am not very conversant with 3D video cameras and formats.

I was also thinking of the costs involved, hence my idea of using two cams, one of which I already have. But understand now the problems associated with post-synchronisation, so maybe a fixed 'twin lens' cam would be best, IF affordable.

As for the ones you mention. All WAY out of my price range as I am retired and have nothing to spare really. As I mentioned, I have the Optoma projector with the 3DXL adaptor which accepts SBS or interleaved 3D. I would not be doing major block-buster-type movies :-) Just short clips of say steam locos passing by or moving around a station etc. Hopefully saved to a Blu Ray disk for archiving. Not sure how exactly to get them played through the projector yet. Would the output from the camera be OK to feed to the adaptor do you know?

If I could get a reasonable 3D cam for about £500 I might be interested but that is even stretching things for me. :-(

Cheers

Barry.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 11:56 

the Fujifilm FinePix REAL 3D W3 cost around 300$, has the widest lens spacing of all cameras.
it should be exactly what you are looking for.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 14:32 

Thanks Nosys70

Will read up about that one. Providing it is Hi Def movie quality I will consider it.

Cheers.

Barry

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 19:43 

Sorry, doesn't seem to be Hi-Def. Movie is only 640 x 480. I really want hi-def as I am used to my Panny SD5 Hi-Def camcorder.

That's why I was trying initially use two of these.

is there a better res similar-type twin-cam do you know?

Cheers.

Barry.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2011, 22:31 

it seems it shoot 1280x720p24 in 3D, so it is not full HD but it the lower side of HD.
Picture quality from reviews seems very average, so the risk is you do not really get something to compare to full hd from your other camera.
The Bloggie 3D, or MHS-FS3 is recording full HD in 30p, but the spacing of lens is half what you can find on the W3, so for big objects
3d will not be so impressive.
there is alos a very cheap Aiptek 3d cam , similar to the sony, but shoot in 1280x720 only.
The best guess for instance is either the Sony TD10 or to buy for cheap a 2nd camera as the one you already got and provide the extra effort and time (that is free to you) to get the proper result.
If you are able to build a support for both camera that allows to get them perfectly aligned, it is a huge improvement for editing as most of the tedious step (aligning shots) is done. You would just need to sync the start of each clip and the same image count.
I have done that with my dual sanyo FH1, so if you care to shoot long shots, the work is kept to minimum. If you get dozen of shot to align , then it becomes really tricky. I use one infrared remote to control both camera, but it is not always perfect (2 or 3 frames misaligned at start and end).
if you want i can sell you my dual FH1 with home made support for £350, it is a nice 1080p60 (one of the few shooting 1080p60) camera.
the only drawback with these little cam is the relative low performance in low light, as all the cameras in that range. I just used them few hours for tests.