All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Building my own Watercooling system
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 01:49 

Hey. :D

I've used some hours looking on the parts for a watercooling system for my computer, and here is what i have come up with:

CPU-Coolerhead:
EK - Supreme LT AMD - Acetal
GPU- Coolerhead: DD-GTX480 All Copper Version
[b]Radiator: HW-Labs Black Ice - GTS 240 - Black
Pump:[/b] XSPC 750 Dual Bay Reservoir Pump
Reservoir: Included in the Pump.
Tupes: XSPC High Flex - 19/12,7mm - ½"
Cooling-fluid: Feser One Cooling Fluid - 1L - UV Rød
Cooling-paste: Arctic Cooling MX-3 - 4 g
Fans: Noctua NF-S12B FLX - 120mm (two of them, for the radiator)
Fittings: I am not sure what this is actually, and what types i need for my system, and if they come with the products mentioned above.

Links:
CPU-Coolerhead: http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/block ... cetal.html
GPU-Coolerhead: http://www.dangerden.com/store/dd-gtx48 ... rsion.html
Radiator: http://www.hwlabs.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=23
Pump & Reservoir:
http://www.xspc.biz/baypump750a.php
Tupes: Could'nt find any site with other language than Danish :)
Cooling-fluid: http://www.feser-one.com/site/product_i ... cts_id=258
Cooling-paste: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/p ... 9_&mID=127
Fans: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... =25&lng=en
Chassis: http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/prod ... ct_id=6606

I have tried to find the cheapest possible components, without sacrificing too much cooling-power, cuz i'm a student and i have limited money for this project :)

The components mentioned and linked above, will be installed in a HAF 922 chassis, which already have holes in the back for watercooling, and have the possibility of 2x 120mm fans in the top (link above)

I have a Corsair TX 750 Watt PSU, will it be enough to power the computer, even with some overclocking and the full watercooling system?

What is your opinion of the watercooling system? Are there some parts which seem bad, and are there cheaper alternatives that you know of?

The thing i want to accomplish with the watercooling is:
- Keeping the temperature of my GTX480(which becomes really hot), and my Phenom 2 x 4 processor low.
- The possibility of overclocking my Processor and Graphics card, when more power is needed.
- To have a stable system, that doesn't break down because of heat.
- Having a quiet computer, since my computer is standing close to where i watch films and such, and the GTX480 can get very noisy when playing Blu-ray quality films on a 32" 1920x1080 screen.

Does it seem possible with the components i have found?

About the overclocking, i haven't tried to overclock anything yet, and i fear that the overclocked part(s) will become unstable if i overclock wrong, or i might damage them(instantly or over time).

And since it's my first time to build a watercooling system, and i have a quite expensive computer, mistakes and failures can't happen, since i cant afford new hardware if my computer dies.

All in all the system costs about 400Euro, is it worth the money, risks and effort? or should i just buy a Corsair H-50 CPU cooler, and a custom Omni / arctic cooler, cooler for my GPU?

I hope you can help me, since i got inspired to build my own watercooling system for my computer, but the risks and the money is a counterweight.

By the way, sorry for any typos, its late night here in Denmark, but i wanted to get this out before i went to sleep ;)

Post subject: Re: Building my own Watercooling system
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 15:59 

Well since ive never built or even seen a water cooled system before i carnt really help u much :P

What i would suggest is you start to look at overclocking now, so you know all the risks and benafits before you plunge into this area.

The main one, unlikley i would like to add... is you break you componets :lol:

Ram: 4Gb 800Mhz ddr2
Psu: Cooler Master M620
Case: Antec 900 Gaming Case
3D Setup: Nvidia 3d Vison / Alienware AW2310

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 08:25 
Site Admin

Your choice of components is quite good, however if you plan to cool a single GTX 480 with a 4-core AMD CPU a single 2x120 radiator will most certainly not enough, let alone to provide some room for overclocking. You'll have to think a bout dual 2x120mm radiators for cooling both the video card and the CPU, with a single radiator you can cool effectively just one of these and have enough reserve for some overclocking of the component. The HAF 922 is a nice case, but not a very good choice for a more serious water cooling solution to be built inside the case, so you will most likely have to do some modding of the case in order to be able to fit in a good water cooling solution. The fans are really good and quiet, but as I said in order to have good enough cooling efficiency you need more radiators... so start thinking about how to fit two 2x120mm radiators in the case. ;)

As for the tubing and the fittings, they go hand in hand. i would suggest not to go below 13/10 mm (external/internal diameter) of the tubing and use fittings that are no less than 13/10 to G1/4", the G1/4" is a standard mounting thread on most components like the radiator, water blocks, pump etc., but you need to be check about each one of them. With a high flow pump like the one you choose it will be the best to go for 19/13mm tubing and fittings.

The power supply should be able to handle everything quite nice for now, even with some overclock.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2010, 12:21 

nice, thanks for the answers :)
All that is left now, is that i raise some money for the project, but it will proberly take some time before i start on it.

About the radiators, a intern radiator is the most prefered, but else i could choose an ekstern, if my chassis doesnt have the space?
Sometimes in the future i might be upgrading my chassis to the HAF X chassis, and i guess it would be smartest to combine that purchase, with the watercooling project :)

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 13:25 

Hi.

Im still looking for parts for the watercooling system, and i would like to ask something.
Is it possible to mount a radiator vertical? :)

Cuz my Haf 922 has holes to mount 2x120mm fans in top, and also 2x120mm at one of the sides.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 13:45 
Site Admin

Yes, no problems in mounting it vertically... and the pump should be more than capable to provide good enough water flow.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 15:53 

Ah, lovely, thanks :)

Now it should be possible to mount another 2x120mm radiator in the chassis. :)
I suppose two 2x120mm radiators could cool enough, even with some overclocks?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 16:16 
Site Admin

Yes, they should be more than enough to cool a good AMD CPU and a GTX 480 and allow even some room for overclocking both too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 17:42 

awesome, thanks man :)