All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Graphic Card for Stereoscopic Rendering SW
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 16:34 

I'm building up a workstation for 3D graphic elaboration, I'm going to use library such as Halcon and OpenCV and software like Stereoscopic Multiplexer or DepthQ Capture.
I need some advice about the graphic card, is the quad buffered opengl stereo support needed? Is ASUS ATI AMD RADEON HD 7870 good for my application? I can't spend more than 250-300 $.
I've choosed an AMD FX 8350 as processor.
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Graphic Card for Stereoscopic Rendering SW
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 18:19 
Site Admin

It depends on what you'll use for visualization, if the output is using OpenGL you'd need QB OpenGL support, but a compatible card won't fit in your budget. What format will be the stereoscopic 3D output? You are going to be working with 3D video or will also need computer generated graphics in stereo 3D as well.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 18:45 

I will use a Panasonic EJ-MLDA32UK monitor (http://www.aegis-elec.com/products/pana ... A32UK.html), and the format will be an interleaved one (side by side...) or a dual stream. How do I know if the monitor is using OpenGL?
What do you mean with this sentence: "You are going to be working with 3D video or will also need computer generated graphics in stereo 3D as well"?

Thank you.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 18:59 
Site Admin

Ok, this is a passive 3D display, so as long as you output in standard 3D formats supported by the monitor the video card should not matter much, at least for visualizing stereo 3D. The monitor is not using OpenGL, the software you are going to be using might. Quad Buffered OpenGL Stereo 3D usually outputs in frame sequential format, so it is not an option in your case. Just make sure the software (or the 3D video) are able to output stereo 3D in one of the supported by the 3D display modes.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 19:08 

You're absolutely sure?
Because in the system requirement (http://www.depthq.com/capture.html) they write "A single Quadro® graphics card incorporating a stereoscopic sync connector, with support for quad-buffered OpenGL stereo is required: The nVidia® Quadro® FX3700 (or better) is recommended."

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 19:53 
Site Admin

The Stereoscopic Multiplexer for example does not have such a requirement, but if you are gong to be using DepthQ Capture and it does have such a requirement than you obviously have to get a Quadro or FireGL card that supports it. I'm not familiar with the software you are going to be using and for exactly what, so you should check what specific requirements these might have.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2013, 19:56 

Yeah, this is a good suggestion. Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 11:56 

I've opted for a nVidia Quadro card, I have just one question: in the specifications of the graphic card it says DVI-DL, would it be possible to use DVI-D? Because my monitor only have a couple of DVI-D input.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 15:26 
Site Admin

This only means Dual-Link DVI, it is the same DVI connector, just the Dual-Link uses all of the available lines in the cable, unlike Single-Link that uses less.

Profile WWW