All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: CPU Performance with 3D vision
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2012, 13:21 

Hello,
I been drooling over 3D for a while now and I'm playing with the idea of finally getting a 3D setup. I don't have a capable PC. I do own a Core 2 Duo and a Dual Core machine. Both of which are equipped with XFX 9600GT's. Since DDR2 RAM is expensive and they don't overclock all that well, I thought I could get my self a new CPU + MOBO and SLI the 9600's and replace them with a 660ti down the road.
The issue is figuring out how powerful CPU is needed? There isn't too much talk on the net about the CPU load when 3D gaming. The main games I'm gonna be playing is Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and Battlefield 3.
http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2334&hilit=CPU
Posts like these aren't all that reassuring. All tough I also read that it has no effect on the CPU. So which one is it. Is 3D vision in anyway CPU dependent?
-Infernal

Post subject: Re: CPU Performance with 3D vision
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2012, 14:06 
Site Admin

With 9600GT even if you have two in SLI the processor will be the least of your concerns, the video card is just not that powerful for stereoscopic 3D gaming at high resolutions with higher detail levels. You might be Ok with it if you stick to 720p and low to medium details and no AA for stereo 3D and that goes for games that are not so demanding, with GTX 660 TI however you will be much better and then you might start worrying about the processor and the performance it can provide. The truth is that when talking about stereo 3D gaming the GPU is far more important than the CPU and even with a decent dual-core processor you may be quite good if you have a powerful video card. Most games still cannot fully utilize multi-core processors, only a few titles can really take the full advantage from a powerful quad or more cores CPU. So in your case it might be better to go for a GTX 660 Ti with your current system, than to invest in a new motherboard and processor now and wait more to get a faster GPU...

Profile WWW