All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Good alternative cooling for GTX 480 / other high-end cards
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 00:01 
Site Admin

I've finally found a great alternative cooling solution to replace the stock cooler of GeForce GTX 480 video card or just about any other high-end single-core GPU - the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus. Using GTX 480s with water cooling is one of the options to make the cards cooler and quieter, but as water cooling setups are more expensive and harder to build they are not always an option...

With the default cooling of the GTX 480 I was getting about 90-95 degrees C working temperature under heavy load and with a quite a bit of noise coming from the cooling fan of the card. I expected the Arctic Cooling solution to perform better than that, but when I mounted it to try it out I was really surprised from the results. I was getting about 70 degrees under the same very heavy load and virtually silent cooling solution with the fans not running at 100%. But even with the fans at 100% the cooling solution remains almost silent and the temperature was still maxing out at about 65 degrees C under heavy load with FurMark for example. You can ever overclock the card significantly without even reaching 80 degrees C under load. So definitely a good alternative to cool a power hungry GTX 480 if you are not happy with the performance of the stock cooler.

- The Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme Plus costs about $65 USD

Attachments:
ac-accelero-extreme.jpg [93.66 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
 Profile WWW