All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: GTX590 compatible Waterblock
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 19:03 

Heya all,

I am currently having 2xGTX295 both water cooled with the following block: http://forum.computergames.ro/attachmen ... 1272278292
I am planning on upgrading to GTX590. At the moment I ordered just 1x GTX590. I was wondering if I can use the WaterBlock from the GTX295 on GTX590 as one block is pretty expensive (around 120 Euros) and don't want to throw them away, etc...

Bloody, if you can test or know or etc if this is possible please let me know as it would save me a lot of money. If not, my card will get here on Thursday and I will post my results then:)

By comparing the PCB GTX295 and GTX590 look almost identical... with a few different locations for screws...but by the looks of it..it could be doable...

Thanks in advance:)

Last edited by helifax on 29 Mar 2011, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: GTX590 compatible Waterblock
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 20:43 
Site Admin

I don't thing that you can use the GTX 295 water block on the GTX 590, the differences in the PCB design are not that little...

EK are already selling a water cooling full cover block for the GTX 590: http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=gtx+590&x=0&y=0

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 22:12 

hmm yes I know..but another 129euros...only for the 1xwaterblock... Dunno yet.. anyway I will try on Thursday and will see what comes out of it;))

Big thanks for they reply Bloody!

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 18:08 

Yey!!!

My Asus GTX590 has arrived!!! However.... my waterblock is still on its way... So, I cannot and will not test it until I have a GTX590 watercooled card.
Now, all over internet people "FRIED" these babies when overclocking.... The fault seem to be the VRM modules...which are under dimensioned and poor quality...

So, I ask you guys this: If I increase my Cores/Shareders/Memory frequencies...the voltage on the VRM is also increased?? I speak of standard tools like RivaTuner or EVGA Precision....

I am waiting for a reply as soon as possible;)) thanks!

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 18:23 
Site Admin

No, just increasing the frequencies should not bring up the voltage of the VRMs, however it will lead to them getting hotter...

It is more dangerous when you start increasing the voltage of the GPU over the standard value, although there are some people reporting problem with the cards even at default voltage... however with a water block you should be keeping everything cool enough in order not to have any problems.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 18:48 

Thanks;)) I wasn't sure if these tools are "autoincreasing" voltage on VDC (even if they don't report it) as it seems there is a problem on this card.. Well I'll let you guys know once everything is up and running:)

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 19:28 
Site Admin

Please do, and also post some results of the temperatures you are getting when you attach the water cooling block to the card - in idle and under load.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011, 19:19 

Hello all!

My GTX590 is here right besides me (boxed) and my EKG waterblock just arrived!!!
So tonight will be a long night! First of all I have to get my GTX295 (water cooled from my system) which by itself takes some time.
Next mount the waterblock on the GTX590 and remake the water loop.

I will try to make a movie clip (or more) in which I want to show the differences in the GTX295 and GTX590 PCBs and Waterblocks (how much they seams alike and how much they differ). Then once this is done, I will get the temperatures on idle and load on the new GTX 590 and compare them with the GTX295 ones.. Last step will be SAFE overclocking (no voltage tweaking) as VRMs seem to be kinda week on the GTX295.

Well wish me luck... 1st part un-boxing..

C ya laters;))

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011, 21:04 
Site Admin

Great, can you also post some pictures of your system?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011, 22:22 

Atm it is still opened all over the place:))) as silly me...run out of thermal paste...... So until tomorrow morning cannot finish it (Atm i'm on my intel atom). I have made pictures and videos so far... at the end i'll make a compilation with everything..but no sooner than tomorrow evening i'm afraid...stupid thermal paste..:(

Edit: Everything is working PERFECT ...Will do some more tests today..and afterwards will present my results;)) Since I didn't quite like what 3DMark reported and some other tests...