All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Confused about BenQ GP10 projector and 3D
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2013, 00:00 

Hi

I am getting the benq projector (gp10)....

and I think to view in 3D I need to use DLP link.... I have the stereostropic player..... and I think I need to use software pageflipping mode?

But I need a PC that can do 120hz output?

the newest PC I have is a sony VAIO laptop with haswell 17 processor, costing over £1,000... but I assume only integrated Intel graphics?

will this be OK? will I need to get a new graphics card for one of my desktop PCs?

Please help, I'm so confused.

ps. I already have a pair of dlp link active glasses.

Post subject: Re: Confused about BenQ GP10 projector and 3D
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2013, 00:47 
Site Admin

Since this projector is not Full HD you should not have trouble with 120Hz at its native resolution and your laptop will probably be capable of outputting 3D at least for 3D movies, playing games in stereo 3D mode could be a more of a problem though.

The Stereoscopic Player in software pageflipping mode should work, but it does not always provide great results, so you might have trouble... there are other alternative players available that might work in your case. However if you are going for a 3D projector for use mostly for watching 3D movies, I would recommend is to go for a model that uses HDMI 1.4 interface for the 3D in frame sequential mode. It is easier to setup and more software supports it, also since it is an industry standard it less dependent on what kind of a GPU you have, though there are still some limitations and only more recent GPUs support it, but it could still save you a lot of trouble if it is only for 3D movie watching and not for playing games in stereo 3D mode.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2013, 01:43 

Hello.

Thanks for your reply. I have actually already purchased the gp10 projector. So I will have to stick with this.

I don't mind that it isn't full HD - I will normally just be watching 2D films, playing wii, etc.... but I want to watch the occasional movie in 3D. ( I don't want to play games in 3D)

According to my projector user manual:

HDMI
800 x 600, SVGA_120*
1024 x 768, XGA_120* (Reduce Blanking)
1280 x 800, WXGA_120*(Reduce Blanking)

*Supported timing for 3D signal with frame sequential format.

So I am really confused about what the best way of doing 3D will be!

What would you recommend, assuming I keep the same projector?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2013, 17:29 

Taken from TrustedReviews.Com:

Surprisingly the GP10 supports 3D playback. Less surprisingly it doesn’t come with any 3D glasses included, and we weren’t supplied with any for the review. It’s also important to stress that the extent of its 3D support is severely limited; it will only play 120Hz Frame sequential 3D on a PC for resolutions up WXGA; 60Hz top-bottom 3D for resolutions up to SXGA ; and 60Hz Frame Sequential video 3D for resolutions up to 480i. This latter fact means, of course, that it won’t play HD 3D Blu-rays; indeed, our Blu-ray player wouldn’t even recognise the projector as being 3D capable.

so out of those methods, which one would yield the best results?

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2013, 18:22 
Site Admin

You should use the native resolution of 1280x800 in frame sequential mode for the best results - software pageflipping in the Stereoscopic Player. You can indeed have problems with the playback of Blu-ray 3D movies, you may need to rip them in anther format in order to be able to play them with the Stereoscopic Player.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2013, 20:59 

thank you. yes I can get the files into side-by-side format that the stereoscopic player should be able to page flip them from there.

I'll have to see how that goes on - I'm just concerned about setting up the computer so that it will display at 120hz (being as it has the integrated intel 4400 graphics)

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 00:01 

I also have cyberlink power dvd 12, would that be a better system to use for sending the 3D image to the projector?

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 15:22 
Site Admin

If you are not seeing 120Hz refresh rate as an option, you might try adding a custom resolution with 120Hz refresh rate.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2013, 15:31 

Ok good. that is something else I might be able to try then.

Thank you.

I can't wait to test it out :)

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2013, 03:43 

it works. Brilliantly.

I am so impressed.

Thanks for all your advice!