All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Compatibility between a 3D projector & HDMI 1.3 on my Laptop
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2012, 14:44 

I have tried searching the forum’s, but can’t seem to find anything that addresses my query directly. So if I am repeating something I do apologise, but if anyone can give me a bit of advice it would be very appreciated and stop me from going mad and pulling my hair out!

Earlier this year I bought a new laptop with 3D capabilities and at the time I explained that eventually I wanted to connect it to an additional monitor and/or projector and to run them in 3D as well. I have now come to find that I can’t do this with a monitor as my laptop supposedly only has a HDMI 1.3 output (not the required 1.4) which is very annoying, but I’m getting conflicting reports in regards to projectors.

I saw in the post earlier today in regards to the BenQ W1070 where it was mentioned that the BenQ W700 or W710ST are compatible with 1.3 which has given me some new hope. So therefore can I actually connect my laptop to this and what type of picture and quality will I get?

Any more information, reviews or advice would be a massive help!

My Computer Specs are:
Alienware M17x-R3
Graphics Card - 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M

Cheers :)

Post subject: Re: Compatibility between a 3D projector & HDMI 1.3 on my La
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2013, 12:22 
Site Admin

Active 3D monitors require you to send 120Hz signal at 1080p resolution and that is not possible over the currently available HDMI solutions, you would either need a Dual-Link DVI or Display Port on your laptop to be able to do that. However most 3D-capable projectors are relying on either 720p resolution with frame sequential input achievable over HDMI 1.3, or use HDMI 1.4 at 720p 50/60Hz per eye or 1080p 24Hz in 3D mode. With your laptop you should most likely be able to also output HDMI 1.4 frame packaged 3D to HDMI 1.4 equipped monitors or projectors, but you will not be able to achieve 1080p 60Hz 3D mode or use it at 1080p 120Hz in 2D mode. The limit will be 1080p 60Hz in 2D mode or 1080p 24Hz 3D mode (good for 3D movies, but not for gaming, for gaming you will still have to resort to 720p resolution).

Profile WWW