[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Update: Impressions on the Benq W710st - 3D Vision Blog - Forum

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Update: Impressions on the Benq W710st
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 15:16 

Hi everyone

Just thought i could share my impressions on the Benq W710st, for people who are considering buying one as well.

I played around with 3D for ages (good old ELSA Revelator), many years later i decided to get the same experience once more with 3D Vision - and was more or less disappointed. Crosstalk and ghosting on the Samsung screen i bought, never had this issue on my old CRT, drivers causing a big performance hit and so on.

As 3D is becoming more popular now and finally more and more movies become available, i was looking for a big screen TV with 3D - and boy, i read many reviews about all possible TV´s - and settled almost for a Panasonic Plasma due to the minimal or rather: none crosstalk/ghosting. A bit later i found out that i could have a 92" projector screen and a benq W710st for half the price of the TV.

Why exactly this projector? I almost went for the gamer projector GT750 i think it was called - but the i found a review (generally in favour of it) - but the test screens looked terrible imho (especially movies).

When it comes to projectors, screens and soundsystem you can spend a fortune on it - i wanted a financially sound choice with a great value for the money, where i could enjoy 2D movies as well (not only for 3D vision, let´s be honest - i will use it 80% for 2D movies).

So, Benq W710st it was due to some favourable reviews. It was a bundle and i got a 92" screen with it (NICE!), was easy to install (screwed to the ceiling and to be pulled down infront of the TV), everything was easily set up. The projector is a short throw one, meaning that it can reach huge diameters of projection on a minimal distance to the screen. I get 92" from about 150 cm (didn´t measure it and i have no idea what this is in feet or inch. ;) ).

2D impressions: Output is 720p, meaning Full HD blu rays do get downconverted but the results are nonetheless fantastic. Sharp picture, good colours, black levels ok. Best picture in a complete dark room ("you don´t say.." ;) ), not useable in daylight (imho) - no matter what i read in reviews, i don´t think that the picture is enjoyable (or visible) when there is a bit more light in the room. Anyway, for movies in common: Definately recommendable, i enjoy it very much - i know there are better full HD projectors out there with even better picture, but as someones first projector i would say that this could be a perfect entry level projector. (price/quality/value).

3D impressions: Until the 3D "adapter", "box" or whatever you could call the Optoma 3d-XL arrives, i decided to try it with 3D Vision. Having bought it a while ago for my gaming PC, i installed it on the media-center in the living room, which has only a Gefore 8500GS as graphics adapter, but this is enough for 3D-movies, clips and pictures. Maybe later i move occasionally my gaming PC to the living room (i´m a lazy person, too much hassle ;) ) just to try it out with games like the Witcher 2, which looked amazing on the Samsung 2233 allready.

Anyway, 3D: Absolutely amazing and no crosstalk/ghosting - and i´m prone to see it and it distracts me a lot. But on this projector: nothing! i love it! :) Depth is amazing, the pop out effects as well - when watching on a 92" screen the pop out is much more into the room as well - up to 3 meters! :) All in all an experience i can only recommed.

So far i have to say that i am more than only satisfied with it - i can highly recommend it. If you can find the space for it (due to short throw technology this shouldn´t be so hard), go for a projector/screen combo in addition to your "old" tv - cheaper than a new 3D-TV, if you don´t need all the bells and whistles of new TV´s (smart TV´s with internet, remote via apps and so on). If you just want to see some movies both in 2D and 3D, go for a projector - you won´t regret it. :)

Next week i´ll edit this post with Optoma 3D-XL impressions, how it holds up against 3D Vision.

UPDATE

Well, didn´t turn out to come "next week" - as my plans are continuously ruined by my small kids... :) And when they are finally asleep, i fall into a coma as well. ;)

Anyway - Update on the 3D-XL! I finally found some time for it and tried it with Underworld - uhm, was it "awakening"..? - the latest entry in the underworld series in 3D.

The setup was trickier than it would suggest - it´s just two cables to, right? :D nope, took me a while to fiddle around with the 3D settings on the blurayplayer and projector - even though everything looked fine, the 3D option was greyed out on the projectors menu - couldn´t activate it. guessed it would need a 3D signal in order that the option becomes available, but no - even in 3D mode of the movie it didn´t work.

restarted, resetted everything and then it worked - i have to try this again soon, just to see where did i go wrong last time.

next surprise: the 3D is completely off, stramge, no 3D, eye straining - after activating the 3D sync inversion on the projector it suddenly worked as a charm. seems the glasses were synced the other way (left was sent to right eye and other way round).

Impression on the DLP-link glasses: Quite nice, comfortable, not so much loss of brightness and good 3D effects. The picture is clear, sharp and good colours - found out that i am more marveling at the picture quality of the projector instead of just watching the movie. :) Fell asleep halways through though - so i have to try once more and test the combination PS3game/DLP link/W710 next time as well.

Sorry that it took me ages to update this thread - but life is that stuff that happens while you are making other plans... ;)

Last edited by Wilkin on 25 Jul 2012, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Impressions on the Benq W710st
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 19:59 

BenQ W710ST in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgjkIAjzOps&feature=plcp

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2012, 15:57 

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 07:33 

if u want to use it with ps3 for 3d better buy gt750 that way u will not need the converter box

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 07:33 

if u want to use it with ps3 for 3d better buy gt750 that way u will not need the converter box

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012, 11:27 

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012, 15:18 

Post subject: Re: Update: Impressions on the Benq W710st
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2012, 13:07 

I was torn between the GT750 and W710/3D-XL as well. But seeing some comparison pictures of 2D material on the net, i quickly decided against the GT750, even though the W710/3D-XL is more expensive.

So, if you do not care for movies (are there such persons?) go for the GT750. But if you would like to see a good movie only once in a while on the big screen, do yourself a favour and go for the W710.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012, 23:54 

Very new to this 3D thing so please excuse the newb questions if that's what they are.

Looking at the BenQ W710ST. I have nvidia 3D vision 2 glasses. Ok here it comes. How do I connect the glasses if there's no VESA 3-pin connector on the projector? Help please!

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012, 09:15 
Site Admin

You don't need to connect the glasses to the projector, you need to connect the IR emitter to the PC over USB. The computer will be synchronizing the 3D Vision glasses with the image shown on the projector and not the projector itself like when you are using DLP Link glasses.

Profile WWW