[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 495: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Need some info before purchase on projectors - 3D Vision Blog - Forum

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Need some info before purchase on projectors
PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 01:12 

I am imminently going to pull the trigger for a projector(in the next 7-10 days). This will be used mostly for 3D gaming and a very few 3D movies(a few professional presentations here and there) so it will not see a lot of use as I have 3 other HDTV’s in the house. For that reason I am leaning toward Viewsonic because their warranty is 3 years VS 1 year which everyone else is offering & they are offering 2 pair of their high end glasses if purchased with a VP3D1 video processor. But here is where part of the problem lies. #1 no body has any experience with the Viewsonic PJD6553w($700) when it come to computer based S3D. However the specs are a superset of the PJD6531w when it comes to supported PC timings. Like the PJD6531w, there are no direct 120HZ timings above 1024*768 in the users manual. Whereas the cheaper PJD5523($500) has 120HZ timings at 1280*800. The choice is to take a gamble on the PJD6553w (this would make me subject to a 15% restocking fee) and see if I can get an EDID inf file to work OR get the approved PJD5523w.
Regardless of the Viewsonic Projector I am planning on getting VP3D1 video processor with it.

1. If all it took was a firmware upgrade to make the PJD6531w compatible with Nvidia 3D Vision, would the EDID be an easy fix to make the PJD6553w work with Nvidia 3D Vision?

2. This will be my first projector and serious foray into S3D territory. Does anyone have any experience with these models(PJD6553w or PJD5523w)?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Need some info before purchase on projectors
PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 08:16 
Site Admin

With an EDID override driver from a compatible with 3D Vision projector you should be able to make it work.

What are you going to be using the projector mostly for - 3D movies or gaming? I'd recommend going for a 720p model...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 17 May 2012, 18:09 

THIS will mostly be used for playing games maybe 3-4 hours week and a 3D movie maybe 1/month. Total usage about 250 hours a year.

The big concern for me between these two projectors is that the PJD5523w is listed as being capable of 120HZ at 720/800P in the PC timing specs. The PJD6553w's highest listing of 120HZ capability is 1024*768 in the timing specs (in the user manual)which is the same as the PJD6531w. However we all know that it is capable of 120HZ at 720P and came with a Nvidia firmware update to "give it that capability". HOWEVER, on their own comaprison sheet, all three of these are listed as 1280*720 native, there is a line item for 120HZ/3D Ready and all of these projectors (5523w,6531w, and the 6553w) are are checked as such. Just confusing as heck!!!

In my opinion if it is marketed as 120HZ/3D Ready, it should be so at the native resolution!

With the discontinuance of the PJD6531w and a Viewsonic rep telling me that the PJD6553w was its replacement I am just wondering if it has the capability but it is not being exploited for some reason. The PJD6531w also apparently had the capability from the beginning but was only "REVEALED" with the Nvidia certification.

Personally it makes no sense to me why they market in this fashion unless it is a support issue; and there are many instances where people find undocumented capabilities it technology items.

PostPosted: 20 May 2012, 09:59 
Site Admin

Well, 3D Vision certification also makes the product more expensive as a licensing fee needs to be payed to Nvidia, most likely for every unit sold, so some of the manufacturers decide just to go for the cheaper alternative of introducing it as only 3D DLP Link compatible, although the hardware inside is fully capable of supporting 3D Vision as well (that is why EDID override driver tick works on non supported models).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 21 May 2012, 05:24 

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2012, 21:12 
Site Admin

Active frame sequential stereo 3D uses higher refresh rates such as 120Hz.

Side by Side, Above/Below and Frame packaging modes use standard refresh rates as both frames are packaged in a single frame.

HDMI 1.4a does not support 120Hz, HDMI 1.4a uses frame packaging and the standard stereo 3D modes supported with it are 720p 50/60Hz 3D mode as well as 1080p 24Hz 3D mode, these are mandatory, with high-speed chips you might be able to get higher refresh rate at 1080p, but very few devices actually have the hardware to support that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2012, 19:42 

"... HDMI 1.4a uses frame packaging and the standard stereo 3D modes supported with it are 720p 50/60Hz 3D mode..."

Are you sure, when I was running my 6531w, I was running off a HDMI 1.4a in 720p 120hz 3d mode... now I have the 6553w, and I just discovered the lack of 3D Vision support. But, like the OP, I'm looking for a workaround. But the 6531w is an awesome projector! Only reason I have the 6553w is this is what Viewsonic sent me as a replacement for the 6531w as they were none in stock for exchanges. They bumped me up to this one, which is awesome in most repsects, except for the lack of 3D Vision support.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2012, 22:25 
Site Admin

You can run at 120Hz in frame sequential mode (essentially 60 per eye) on some 3D Ready projectors over the HDMI interface, but that is not like using HDMI 1.4 in frame packaging mode for 3D...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 08:19 

I did end up purchasing the PJD6553w and have used the PJD6531w EDID that can be found in this forum with success. I used both Nvidia 3D vision and TRIDEF. My only complaint is that I have to load the EDID each time I start up the computer. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it has to be done?

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012, 10:04 
Site Admin

Normally you should just install it once and not need to reload it on each reboot...

Profile WWW