All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: comp specs for stereoscopic player
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2012, 20:14 

Hi,

i have got an acer 3D projector and i am trying to watch SBS mkv files with stereoscopic player, however the image displayed is jerky and not smooth but is in 3D.

My computer comprises of the following

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-VM900M
Processor - Pentium D 945
RAM - 2Gb 667 DDR2
Graphics card - AMD HD6450

Is this setup capable of playing 3D films? or is the software not configured properly?

Thanks for any help

Dan

Post subject: Re: comp specs for stereoscopic player
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012, 19:58 
Site Admin

Are you using Software Pageflipping to output the 3D movie to the 3D DLP projector?

Check the load of your processor when playing back the 3D movie, if it is fully loaded when decoding the video it just isn't capable of performing well enough, but if it is barely loaded, then there might be something wrong with the software. You can try using different codecs for decoding the video as the CPU you've got should be capable of performing decent with 3D video playback.

Alternatively you can also try other 3D video players such as:
sVideo - http://3dvision-blog.com/4981-sview-stereoscopic-3d-multimedia-player-version-11-03/
PowerDVD - http://3dvision-blog.com/7084-cyberlink-has-released-the-powerdvd-12-video-player-software/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 21:00 

cheers for the reply bloody,

My processor is fluctuating between about 85% and 100% so it is working flat out at times!

Is the decoding that CPU intensive even for a 3.4GHz dual core cpu?

Is an mkv special in the way that it supplies the L/R image or could i convert it to a lower resolution AVI to reduce the power needed to decode it?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 22:00 

long shot and not even sure if it is possible but.....

Stereoscopic player converts the video on the fly, thus requiring a large amount of "computer power" from what i can gather.

Is there a way to convert the file to a 120hz pageflip file and save it? not sure this is even possible! just clutching at straws to watch 3d content on my PJ without spending £200 on a 3d-xl box.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2012, 23:18 
Site Admin

Decoding high-resolution 3D video in real time and displaying it in a different format can be quite demanding at times, trying different player/codec combination can help sometimes to reduce the load and get it working properly.

Converting the video to a high fps version can also bring higher decoding requirements to the CPU, it is just that the software pageflipping mode is more demanding than some of the other output modes available. It might be easier to just recompress the movie in 720p resolution, the projector you have is probably at most 720p native resolution.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012, 17:27 

ok, so i now have powerdvd 12 ultra but when i try to play in 3d mode i get an error saying content or device is not supported... is there a work around for this?

Also i have Klite codec pack installed, how do i change what codec is used by stereoscopic player/ power dvd.

Lastly i have read a bit about inf drivers, how do i set this up please?

Thanks for all the help

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2012, 22:20 

well it seems i have sorted it, it was the content i was trying to play, not the setup of my computer.

I had about 10 films that are 1080p blueray Half SBS mkv files. I downloaded some sample videos off the net (avi) and thse played perfectly.

So i have tried converting the files i have using format factory, the play perfectly but i cannot get the aspect ratio right.

Any one know of a good converting software and what settings to use?

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2012, 09:39 
Site Admin

If you just want to convert 180p 3D video in half SBS, but in other format there is not need to change the aspect, it remains 16:9 (no need to modify the aspect ratio) as the player will after that stretch each frame. For a powerful converting software with a lot of options and formats supported and free you can try MediaCoder or Super@ for example.

Profile WWW