All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 3D-Vision Performance also CPU-related?
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2012, 21:03 

Since the Nvidia-Forums are currently down for reason, I'll have a try over here:
How excactly does 3D-Vision depend on CPU-Performance? I thought that each time the CPU calculates a frame,
the GPU would render the two frames needed for S3D. So logically the GPU has to render twice as much as the CPU has to.
As my CPU - a Q8200@2.33GHz - still delivers average 50+ FPS in 2D mode, I didn't care much about CPU-limitation in S3D.
But now I have to discover that my FPS are cut to half in nearly ANY game with ANY graphics settings with a GTX 680,
so I have the horrific feeling that Nvidia might have decided to only switch camera angle between two positions
so FPS(CPU) = 2 * S3D-FPS(GPU) <=> 0.5 * FPS(CPU) = S3D-FPS(GPU).
This would mean that I have to spend additional 300 EUR to upgrade my CPU AND mb AND RAM -.-
Of course I would appreciate to get around that so I'd be glad if you might know whether
the CPU-dependency was there before or whether this (hopefully) might be a bug in the drivers...

Cheers!
r00t

PS: Just tested JC2 with medium settings against lowest - uplayable with medium but 30 FPS with lowest...
Seems like the drivers are not yet optimized for 3D. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
PSPS: FC2 Bench DX10 Graphics to lowest (as possible, so mostly high), 640x480@3D: avg 32 FPS. Same thing in 2D: avg 63 FPS...

Post subject: Re: 3D-Vision Performance also CPU-related?
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 10:27 
Site Admin

I'd suggest to run an app monitoring the CPU load, then run a game and see what CPU load you are getting. You can also run a GPU load monitor to see the load on the graphics processor as well...

If load is maxed out, then the CPU apparently cannot handle the extra load, though it is still quite powerful processor, so I doubt that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 11:42 

Thanks for the fast answer Bloody, don't know why I didn't monitor that before...
Played one of the first missions in Just Cause 2: CPU cores mostly between 50 and 70%, one below... GPU almost never hits 90%, it seems stuck around 50-60, sometimes even 40%-.-
Does not look like CPU OR GPU limit to me, bet there's a driver issue that causes this low GPU usage and in return the CPU has nothing to do, too.
FPS feels horrible, sometimes even stutters, however far away from smooth...
What do you think?

PS: I will check same thing in 2D, maybe this will light the dark...

Those screens show JC2 CPU and GPU usage after playing in...
2D:
Attachment:
JC2_2D.PNG [416.46 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

and 3D:
Attachment:
JC2_3D.PNG [493.34 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

In 3D, CPU usage seems to be about 10%-points lower than in 3D, GPU usage is far away from where it should be...
settings: everything highest, AA: 4xMSAA, Bokeh and GPU-Water off

Metro 2033, maxed out...
2D:
Attachment:
M_2D.PNG [545.17 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

3D:(can't upload for some reason, GPU fully loaded, CPU around 50-70%)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I belive that I just prove my thesis: Playing Mafia 2, I get 45+ FPS, mst time around 60 and above. If I can trust the GPU monitor, there was no GPU limit at all.
When I activated 3D-Vision and restarted the game, I barely hit 31 FPS (maximum!!!), most time I was stuck BELOW 20 FPS... If 60+ FPS is average at CPU limit,
in 3D I should get at least 25+ FPS (if there was a GPU limit in 2D). But as there actually is no GPU limit in 3D, 30-X+ FPS should be possible without problems.
Getting stuck at 20- FPS imo indicates a driver bug. As I sent back a 670 about a month ago due to black screens etc after driver installation and nvidia
driver feedback threads were full of people having problmes with Kepler, I would not wonder if they set priority on getting those monsters working
in 2D first. So waiting for the next driver. AGAIN-.- At least I can tweak with SGSSAA/16xCSAA in most Games now^^

Last edited by r00t on 23 Jul 2012, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 12:53 
Site Admin

Yep, it does not seem that you are hitting the limit of either the CPU or the GPU yet.

What video driver are you currently using?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012, 13:01 

I am using the 304.79. Thought about rolling back to previous drivers, but currently I don't think that would be a nice idea, thinking about all those bugs they were and are still working on...

No CPU limit, omg wasn't that happy since the card arrived! :) Thanks a lot, Bloody! Hopefully, Nvidia will get their forums back online soon so I can tell them...

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 16:02 

Hi,

I'm also running a GTX680 (4GB) and compared to my GTX580 it runs nowhere near as smooth (darksiders and hard reset) in 3D. Lots of stuttering and tearing.
Actually also in 2D but then the stuttering is less noticable. When I use 2 GTX680's in SLI, things get even worse! (significantly).
I start to suspect that the actual problems is not low FPS but high FPS (or a too big difference between low and high FPS). Any thoughts on this matter are highly appreciated!

I used to think that getting yourself the fastest card posiible was a good thing. Now I'm not so sure... :-(

Thanks!
Pfipfo

edit: another thing I'd like to know: if you are in 3D mode and you have a FPS of say 60. Does that mean 30 FPS per eye? Or 60 FPS per eye?

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 16:40 
Site Admin

When not in stereoscopic 3D mode you can take advantage of the new adaptive vsync function in order to get smoother fps rate.

When you are running in stereoscopic 3D mode you are essentially with vsync enabled for better experience.

In stereoscopic 3D mode you are usually shown the framerate per eye, so with FRAPS running and you seeing 50 fps this would mean that you get 50 fps per eye (100 in total), and the experience is like running at 50 fps in 2D mode, but with added 3D effect on top ;)

I suppose that Nvidia has some more work on the support for the new Series 600 GPUs in the drivers, so it may take some time before they start running as smooth and problem free as the 500 series... especially with all the new extra functions that were introduced.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 19:51 

Bloody wrote:
When not in stereoscopic 3D mode you can take advantage of the new adaptive vsync function in order to get smoother fps rate.

When you are running in stereoscopic 3D mode you are essentially with vsync enabled for better experience.

In stereoscopic 3D mode you are usually shown the framerate per eye, so with FRAPS running and you seeing 50 fps this would mean that you get 50 fps per eye (100 in total), and the experience is like running at 50 fps in 2D mode, but with added 3D effect on top ;)

I suppose that Nvidia has some more work on the support for the new Series 600 GPUs in the drivers, so it may take some time before they start running as smooth and problem free as the 500 series... especially with all the new extra functions that were introduced.

Thanks for replying!

I'll ask for technical support at the EVGA website and try to let Nvidia know as soon as the forums are back up!

Other question you might know the answer to: I bought 2 680's because I want to game in 3D Vision Surround (3 x Asus VG278H).
I can't make it seems to work. I can get Surround in 2D but in 3D only 1 monitor has the 3D sign "light" on and what I see is a total mess.
Should all 3 monitors have the 3D light turned on? Sync between glasses and monitors is totally off. And 1,5 monitor is actually displaying something of the game instead of 3.

I bought my first asus vg278H 6 months ago, and received the other 2 yesterday. Could it be that they may be different?

Best regards,
Pfipfo

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 21:04 
Site Admin

Only one of the monitors needs to send the sync signal for the glasses, usually the first one connected gets detected by 3D Vision and the software assumes that the others are the same model, though all of them should be activated in 3D mode. Do all of the displays get detected with the same model name in the Nvidia Control Panel, there should be no difference between them, but who knows.

Make sure that you've gone through the 3D Vision Surround setup completely and that you get the extra resolutions supported by the 3D Vision Surround. And when running a game you need to set it to use one of the higher resolutions supported by 3D Vision Surround in order to get the image displayed on all three screens (5760x1080 for example). It seems that you are running the game at 1080p resolution and that is why it gets displayed only on the center screen...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2012, 23:13 

Bloody wrote:
Only one of the monitors needs to send the sync signal for the glasses, usually the first one connected gets detected by 3D Vision and the software assumes that the others are the same model, though all of them should be activated in 3D mode. Do all of the displays get detected with the same model name in the Nvidia Control Panel, there should be no difference between them, but who knows.

Make sure that you've gone through the 3D Vision Surround setup completely and that you get the extra resolutions supported by the 3D Vision Surround. And when running a game you need to set it to use one of the higher resolutions supported by 3D Vision Surround in order to get the image displayed on all three screens (5760x1080 for example). It seems that you are running the game at 1080p resolution and that is why it gets displayed only on the center screen...

Hi thanks again!

I downloaded the latest drivers for my motherboard and voila: it works!

And I thought I had seen it all... 3 screen gaming in 2D is well.. nice.

In 3d: OMG F*CKING AWESOME!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I just played Batman AC, man, where to begin? It's like being 8 years old and in a attraction park (is that correct Enlish???) and there is this 1 fantastic rollercoaster.
And you own it!!!!! It's yours!

Sorry for being over-excited, can't help it :D

Best regards,
Pfipfo