All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: Help me with my new build ?
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2012, 22:41 
Site Admin

This is the original water cooled PC build, but currently it is with two GTX 580s in SLI, Sabertooth P67 Mobo and 2500K CPU, the rest is pretty much the same.

http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=329

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 06:22 

1.Up to how gbz have u overclocked your processor ?

2. Is Corsair 800D better than Haf x especially for water cooling ?

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 09:32 
Site Admin

At at the moment 4.5 GHz, it can go up to 5 GHz stable, but requires a bit too high voltage to do that.

I like the Corsair more, it is not necessarily better for water cooling... although it has more space available compared to Haf X.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 11:04 

1. why did u use "Fluid XP+ Nano-Fluid Alien Green UV Fluid" when u can use watercooling are there any particular reason or does fluid xp+ gives lesser temperature than watercooling ?

2. Why did u purchase xspc as well as swiftech seperatively instead u could have gone with xspx watercooling kit or swiftech x20 kit ?

3. well u said u have i5 2500k but instead u could have got i7 2600k because it has 4 core extra threads as well it has hyperthreading feature, if games utilise hyperthreading i7 2600k will have huge gain when compared to i5 2500k .

4. do u use nvidia surround ?

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 14:35 
Site Admin

1. No particular reason, just wanted to try it out and I liked their green color... not being based on water is a plus, but in the end I did not find it that good and had to modify the liquid a bit to get it working as I wanted it to, so will not recommend using it.

2. I don't like water cooling kits, I'm not new to water cooling and I prefer to have full control over what components I use and how I make them work together, so I go for different parts... for people new to water cooling or with not a lot of experience it is always good to start with a kit.

3. The 4 cores are more than enough not only for gaming, but in general... only some multi-threaded apps can benefit a bit from the HT support (just a bit), however the HT makes the processor run hotter and quite a lot of people disable it anyway when overclocking the CPU.

4. No, single 3D monitor.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 18:06 

1. will games eventually use hyperthreading ?
according to epic games samaritan demo made use of 4 cores and 4 or 8 threads(not sure how many threads exactly) .

One main question i have is that in future if 4 cores are not enough for gaming what will game developers exactly do .
Option A). will they use 4 cores plus hyperthreading ?
OR
Option B). will they eventually use more than 4 cores i.e 6 cores ?

What is more easier for game developers ? and what is prediction ?

If it is option A, then i will better get i7 3770k . If it is option B, then i will better get i5 3570k .

Do u have asus vg278h monitor ?

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 18:51 
Site Admin

Hyperthrearding was a technology developed in order to try and make more software developers to start making use of multithreading in their applications in order for things to be ready when the multi-core processors started appearing... this did not help that much. So nowadays when we have multi-core processors HT is pretty much obsolete and the advantages that it brings in terms of increase in performance are minor and only in applications that are capable of fully utilizing multi-core processors (mostly professional software). Games may need a few more years in order to start taking proper advantage from more cores, but things are moving in that direction since both AMD and Intel are pushing for more cores on their processors instead of higher frequencies.

Implementing multi-core support will also benefit processors with HT, however HT will add just some minor performance increase and a full processor core extra fully utilized can bring more significant improvement. HT is pretty much adding an extra logical core and the OS sees an additional core, so for what it matters the OS thinks that you have more cores if your CPU has HT support. As I've already said CPUs have become less and less important for games, unlike video cards that are becoming more and more important for good performance in a game. When the minimum cores you can get in a low end processor are 4 then probably most of the software including games would be able to take advantage from all four cores, game developers are not making games for hardcore gamers and/or enthusiasts with the top hardware in their computers, they make games for the mainstream users that have low to mid-range gaming hardware to ensure maximum consumer base. Similar with stereo 3D support, there are not that many games that are optimized for best experience in stereo 3D just because it still hasn't become a mainstream feature.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 19:39 

games like bf3, crysis 2, gta, max payne 3, skyrim, batman, metro 2033 are made mainly for enthusiasts because u really need a powerful pc to play these games .

I realize that only a few games like arma 2, shogun2, starcraft 2, wow are cpu bound than being gpu bound because they are pc exclusives .

Though metro 2033 is more demanding it runs pretty well on dual core processors,
bfbc2 required 4 processors for optimal performance but bf3 campaign runs good even on dual core processors , crysis 2 requires triple cores for optimal performance.

Whether games will make use of more than 6 cores or not dpends on 2 things

1. if intel brings 8 core processors as well reduce the price of 6 core processors dramatically which will take time
2. if next gen consoles have 6 core processors or more made into their console .

If the above two happens quad core processors will become obselete very soon . If next gen consoles arent too powerful then quad core processors will easily last more than 3 years easily.

Just few questions:

1. u said that games dont use hyperthreading and mostly wont use so in that case should i get i5-3570k or i7 3770k ?

2. U said at the beginning that even i7 3770k is futureproof and will easily last 3 years if that is the fact, will i5 3570k last me for 3 years ?

3. will i7 3770k be more futureproof than i5 3570k for gaming or not ?

4. what powers supply should i get i choose two and u please select 1 out of the two
Corsair Gold AX1200 Watts or Seasnic Platinum 1000Watts ?

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 20:04 
Site Admin

Quote:
games like bf3, crysis 2, gta, max payne 3, skyrim, batman, metro 2033 are made mainly for enthusiasts because u really need a powerful pc to play these games .

No, they are not... or at least not all of them. They are made to also support high-end hardware if you want to push everything to the max, however they are perfectly playable on normal mid-range hardware with good graphics and level of details.

Quote:
If the above two happens quad core processors will become obselete very soon .

No, they are not going to. You are still more than good with even a dual core CPU and a mid-range graphics for a gaming PC, of course not good for playing in ultra details with AA enabled at 1080p, but good enough to play at high with no AA even on more demanding titles. And with the same setup if you move to a quad core CPU you may get just 2-5 fps more, but if you get a top-end GPU you might get for example 20-30 fps more...

Going from four to six cores could do the same as going from two to four, just a few extra frames, even if the game is optimized to take advantage of the extra cores fully, don't expect to get the double the framerate... nowadays significant performance increase in games could only be achieved with a high-end GPU, or with more than one GPU if a game does support that as well as not all do. So with that said both i5-3570k and i7 3770k would be future proof for gaming if paired with a good GPU(s).

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2012, 20:11 

1. well what about power supply that i asked should i get Seasonic platinum 1000 watts psu or Corsair Gold AX1200 watts psu /

2. if im going with water cooling should i need to do maintainance for it ?

3. if yes how many times in a year should i check or do maintainance for it ?