All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Help me with my new build ?
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 15:03 

Hello,
A). Queries regarding processor:
1. I know that 4 core processor is enough for gaming as of now but will it last for atleast 3 years, some people say that games wouldnt use more than 4 cores in the near future is that true ?
2.Also if games starts to utilise more than 4 cores will there be a huge performance gain between 4 core processor and 6 core processor ?

B). Queries regarding motherboard:
1. How does EVGA X79 FTW compare with Asus Rampage IV Formula and why EVGA X79 FTW is better than Asus Rampage IV Formula ?
2. How does EVGA Z77 FTW compare with Asus Maximus V Gene and why EVGA Z77 FTW is better than Asus Maximus V Gene ?

C). Queries regarding graphic cards:
For purchasing graphic card i have narrowed it down to 3 options and u tell me which option is better .

Option 1: Purchasing EVGA gtx 680 sli now for my build ?
Option 2: Purchase a single EVGA gtx 680 and now and add another later when price of gtx 680 falls ?
Option 3: Purchase a Single EVGA gtx 680 now and 2 years later when maxwell debuts i can sell my gtx 680 and buy gtx 880 i.e maxwell ?

My friend purchased gtx 480 2 years ago and now he sold gtx 480 and purchased gtx 680 that gave me the idea of option 3. Some people used to buy one card initially and add another when price drops which gave me idea of option 2 and finally gtx 680 sli .

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Post subject: Re: Help me with my new build ?
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 15:09 
Site Admin

A)
1. Most likely yes.
2. Not that much of a difference probably.

B)
1. and 2. It greatly depends on your requirements from the motherboard - if you are going to overclock it, what features do you need etc.

C) I'd go for option 2 or 3, if/when you decide that one GTX 680 is simply not enough you may get another one or just go and replace it with a next gen, but for the start one should be enough for a single monitor use.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 16:00 

1. I want to overclock my cpu upto 5 ghz also i want best features for gaming as well as i dont want to run into any bios issues so what motherboard do u recommend asus maximus v formula or evga z77 ftw ?

2. Many people says that games wont use more than 4 cores in the near future does it makes i7 3770k future proof for another 3 years ?

3. i7 3930k has 2 extra cores when compared to i7 3770k, but on single threaded applications ivy bridge is around 10% faster than sandy bridge theoritically if games utilize all the 6 cores efficiently i7 3930k should have performance gain upto 40% when compared to i7 3770k
i). But do u think we will see that much amount of performance gain ?
ii). if not how much % of performance gain do u expect to see on 6 core processor when compared to 4 core processor ?
iii) Also when do u expect to see games utilize 6 cores i.e approximately how many years later ?

90% of the gamers around many forums dont recommend 6 core processor which actually made me to think should i get 4 core processor.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 16:18 
Site Admin

You might not be able to get 5GHz on any of these, or you might be able to get it on all of them... the processor and the cooling is also very important... and 5GHz is pushing it a bit with these CPUs, so good cooling solution is a must, especially if the CPU you get requires higher voltage to work at 5GHz. And the more cores you have the less overclock you can get, usually... ;)

The processor's importance especially in games has been getting less significant for a while already and the performance that the video card provides is getting more and more important. If a game is able to utilize all cores on a six and 4-core processor I'd expect the difference in performance to be lets say 10% at most, that of course can vary from game to game.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 17:01 

1. well if if there is only 10% performance gain on a 6 core processor even if all 6 cores are used i think it would be meaningless for me to buy i7 3930k so i will go with i7 3770k

2. what z77 motherboard do u recommend me Asus Maximus V or EVGA Z77 FTW ?

3. i initially thought of buying corsair h100 liquid cooler but i think i will go with swiftech, what radiator do u recommend me dual or triple radiator ?

4. Should i get gtx 680 or gtx 680 hydro copper version, due to lesser temperatures will hydro copper version has better lifespan than ordinary gtx 680? . im asking u this because gtx 680 is $500 while gtx 680 hydro copper $700 . is hydro copper worth the extra money ?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 19:49 

one more question did samaritan demo really ran on single gtx 680

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2012, 21:15 
Site Admin

Well, I've personally seen the Samaritan demo running on a system that Nvidia claimed to be using a single GTX 680, but it is still just a technology demo... although it is something that you should be able to achieve even now using the latest Unreal Engine. We are however probably not going to be seen games looking like that in the near future...

If you are going the water cooling way there are a lot of variables that need to be considered - if you are going to be cooling only the CPU or a single/dual graphics cards, when you are overclocking them what will be the maximum power consumption going to be under load etc. How and where to place the radiator, what size you can go for depending on the heat needed to dissipate, what fans to use... the water cooling blocks on the GPUs and the CPU are the least of your concerns.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2012, 06:31 

i will be using HAF X cabinet which is really spacious but or there any other case which is better than haf x for water cooling and im gonna use 1200 watts psu so there wont be any power issues and im looking forward to buy xspc rasa 750 rs 360 water cooling kit if there is any better alternative pplease tell me .

Samaritan demo ran on single gtx 680 because of few reasons
1. because epic games optimised that game on gtx 680 alone but while bringing such a heavy duty game on pc it wont be possible .
2. Epic games claimed that such a huge graphical game wont be available for another 2 years but that they will make the game on unreal engine 4 or any other new engines because next gen consoles will debut at that time any new engines will demand a lot epic games said samaritan demo ran on 30 fps if they really make that game on unreal engine 4 it will only get 15-20 fps on single gtx 680.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2012, 09:38 
Site Admin

That kit from XSPC should be able to handle quite well even with two GTX 680s, however if you overclock them significantly as well as the CPU it may be getting at its limits, so you might need more noisier fans with higher flow to keep the temperatures lower.

I'm actually using a XSPC RX480 Quad Radiator with only three fans, so it provides only a slightly better performance than a tripple radiator, cooling with it the CPU and two more power hungry GTX 580s in SLI and this manages to keep them cool under load, but the heat dissipated is getting close to the limit of the cooling system.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2012, 13:14 

can u tell me your pc configuaration and on what monitor do u play games ?