All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Bad quality 3D print with Fuji
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 16:56 

Hello.

My experience with the Fuji 3D Print service is not so good.

I have to tell that the picture were not shooted with the Read3D W1 or W3 camera, but making 2 pictures with a Canon.

The pictures look incredibly good on my Samsung 3D monitor with the nvidia glasses, and also look terrific on fuji Read3D V1 3D photo frame. So I decided to print 5 of them (at $5 each plus $5 shipping, I could not print many :( ).

Only 1 looks nice. The depth is not as great as on the screen, but it is quite nice.

The four other have problems of depth. In exemple, I have a wedding couple in a park, and there is a small tree on the back. On the printed picture, the tree looks at the same depth as the people. On the other pictures, there are similar problems.

I asked myself why ?

I think I found the reason.

The 3D picture can be viewed in many angles. When changing the orientation of the picture, it stays in 3D, and there is no left/right eye inversion, like on the 3D frame. The printed picture is not made of 2 pictures, but more (I don't know how many). Let's say 10 pictures. As if they generated 8 pictures between left & right. If the left eye see picture 3, the right see picture 4 (for exemple) and the 3D look fine. If you move your head, the left eye will see pic 6 and the eight pic 7, and 3D is still good. Right eye always look "left eye picture+1". In other words, the right eye always look at a picture supposed to be shoot a little more at the right from the left eye.
And that's the problem. The intermediate generated pictures are not good. They have depth problem. Kind of 2D to 3D conversion.
They use lenticular for animation with X frames, and not lenticular for 2 frames. But as you give them only 2 frames, they must generate extra frames.

I hope they will fix this problem soon.

Cheers,

Olivier.

Post subject: Re: Bad quality 3D print with Fuji
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 17:42 
Site Admin

Did you notice anything in particular that is different on the photo that looked just fine as compared to the others that are not, like for example higher or lower separation between the objects on the left and right frame or maybe closeup photo or a panorama?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2010, 11:24 

Hi !

I'll post the 3D mpo files as soon as I can, so you'll be able to check the depth by yourself.

Regards,

Olivier;

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2010, 12:21 
Site Admin

Great, thanks.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 14:08 

you might try this service -

http://www.start3d.com/

at one time I ordered 5 different types.
The best one was printed in canada on staples paper and had the thicker lens slices. It was the largest size they offered at the time.

The problem I perceive with the super small lense slices is almost a 'sub pixel' blur between them, but thats what I perceived.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2010, 21:19 

kenwshmt wrote:
you might try this service -

http://www.start3d.com/

at one time I ordered 5 different types.
The best one was printed in canada on staples paper and had the thicker lens slices. It was the largest size they offered at the time.

The problem I perceive with the super small lense slices is almost a 'sub pixel' blur between them, but thats what I perceived.

What did it cost you?

some other company that does 3d prints.
http://www.snap3d.com/

Back in the day (+10yrs ago) i had analog cameras with2, 3 and 4 lens for 3d pictures.
There were 2 companies i used that did 3d lenticular prints.
ill see if i can find their names and if they offer prints still.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2010, 02:53 

the 'good' one was $20 i beleive, the 4 others were $10 and $15 . and the thinner lenses.

the smaller ones were adequate, but i liked the big thick one. it wasnt as noisy. it also had less 'resolution' being bigger lens slices, but it looked cleaner.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 20:41 

Is there anywhere we can buy the plastic parallel lens and then just print the interlaced photos with our own printer?