All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 3D still photos from Sony Bloggie 3D?
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 18:41 

Hi All,

I just bought the Sony Bloggie 3D and so far, it seems kinda nice. As listed in the product specs, you can view 3D still photos and 3D videos taken with this camera on the unit's lenticular display. You can also view both 3D still photos and 3D videos on a 3D TV when tethering this camera to the TV with an HDMI cable. In addition, you can post 3D movies to YouTube and they will be auto-converted to anaglyph so that others can view via YouTube with suitable paper glasses (cyan/magenta, red/blue, etc.)

I have two questions, though, that maybe someone in this forum can help me out with:

1. Is there any software out there than can take the 3D still photos generated by this camera and convert them to anaglyph for viewing with paper glasses? Basically do for the 3D stills what YouTube does automatically for 3D videos. Before you ask, YouTube does not accept posting of the 3D stills, at least via the Sony Bloggie software.

2. Is there any software out there than can edit either the 3D still photos or 3D videos taken by this camera?

Thanks in advance!

BTW, ask away if there are any questions about this camera and I'll do my best to reply.

Post subject: Re: 3D still photos from Sony Bloggie 3D?
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 18:49 
Site Admin

1. Just to confirm, the 3D photos are in JPEG format with the left and right views in a Side by Side configuration, right? You can use the free StereoPhoto Maker software for the conversion: http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

2. The same question about the videos, MP4 in Side by Side format (1920x1080 or 3840x1080 toral resolution)? For basic 3D photo adjustment you can use the StereoPhoto Maker and for basic editing of 3D videos you can use the free application from the same author called StereoMovie Maker: http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stvmkr/

For a full fledged advanced video editor with 3D support you can check the latest Sony Vegas Pro 10 software.

Can you post some sample 3D photos and 3D videos you have recorded with the 3D Bloggie? And feel free to share some thoughts about the device in general and about the quality of the 3D photos and video it produces.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 19:49 

The Bloggie software is used to import and view the content from the Bloggie. That software denotes which photos and videos are in 3D, but doesn't render them in any form of 3D; rather, they are all shown (in the software) as regular 2D (probably just rendering the left lens data) but with a 3D notation.

I browsed the DCIM folder on the camera itself (while mounted to the PC) and the photos are apparently 2MP (1920x1080) single-view jpegs with an accompanying .MPO file. Open the jpegs directly and they look like any other 2D 2MP jpeg. I'm guessing that the .MPO file contains data used to reconstruct the 3D image, but don't know for sure. Attached is a single 3D still image- the .jpg and its accompanying .MPO file. This site wouldn't attach the .MPO file so I zipped it first.

3D videos seem to be more straight-forward. I browsed to the "MPROOT" folder on the mounted camera and found the .MP4 video files that represent the 3D videos. Opening up one manually in the QuickTime player indicates that the 3D video is stored in left/right side-by-side format. So the videos are 1/2-HD (960x1080), but at least they're store in a standardized format.

It seems that the 3D video can be converted from side-by-side format to anaglyph using various software packages, but what about the stills?

Thoughts on the camera itself:

I wasn't able to see or try this camera in-person before buying it via mail-order and was only able to try out the Bloggie Touch models. I'm a tad disappointed that the screen is small, all controls are physical buttons (not touch like the other Bloggies) and the overall UI is a lot more pedestrian and blah. I figured that the UI would take advantage of the 3D screen and be in 3D, but it reverts to 2D when not viewing a 3D still or video. The on-screen displays during 3D playback are very difficult to read due to the lenticular display, too. I can cope with most of this, though, since I mainly bought this camera to create 3D content as the combination of my iPhone 4 and a CyberShot TX7 meets my other casual recording needs for stills and HD video.

Overall, the lenticular display is a bit small but serviceable, the overall speed and basic features seem OK and the price wasn't bad for a 3D camera ($249). My biggest issue right now is that the ONLY way to view still photos in 3D is to leave them on the camera and connect the camera to a 3D TV. I would really like to share my 3D pictures for viewing online (with anaglyph glasses, natch) just like I can share my videos via YouTube in anaglyph.

Anyway, ask away if you'd like more info. As before, thanks in advance for any/all suggestions for the 3D photo side of this camera.

Attachments:
DSC00012.zip [754.15 KiB]
Downloaded 1488 times
DSC00012.JPG [380.13 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 21:03 
Site Admin

Thanks, the StereoPhoto Maker software works just fine with the MPO files.
Also the 3D Vision has no trouble opening and viewing the MPO files produced by the 3D Bloggie.
The image quality is not perfect, but it decent and it is to be expected from the small CMOS sensors used.

It would be great if you can upload and share a link to a short 3D video clip you've taken.
Also how is the camera handling shooting video in 3D mode with movement, is the footage usable, or there is a rolling shutter effect very apparent?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 21:38 

Thanks for the pointer to StereoPhoto Maker. I downloaded it and am RTFM'ing to figure out how to open the jpg/mpo combos and save them as an anaglyph jpg.

In the meantime, here's a link to a quick video that I posted to YouTube: http://youtu.be/ELPl3ACM1Go

The video was auto-converted to anaglyph by YouTube and the link is not public. I wasn't expecting too much in terms of video quality since it's only a $250 camera and a lot of the fancy features (optical image stabilization, optical zoom, autofocus, etc.) don't apply when shooting in 3D on this camera.

I'll have to try another video with more applicable stuff in it to see how well it handles the movement. I'll try to shoot and post something soon.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 22:35 
Site Admin

Well, even without stabilization the 3D video from the moving car is quite Ok.

How is the performance i n low light conditions, I doubt that the LED light is doing very good?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 01:42 

Hi again. The LED light is kinda weak - more like the light on a smartphone rather than a true flash or real camcorder light. It helps in lower-light situations, but I wouldn't try to record anything like a birthday party. In the few shots I tried indoors, the camera's low-light sensitivity were a little lacking. I still have the CyberShot TX7 for those shots, but not in 3D.

I played around more in StereoPhoto Maker and now I just have to find a pair of red/green glasses since the only ones I have are cyan/magenta and the software doesn't seem to have that as one of the types of anaglyph it can create.

Thanks again for all the help!

PostPosted: 22 May 2011, 15:57 

Is there any program for Mac?
i tried MPO3DViewer from Mac App Store
but when i open MPO files from 3d bloggie,
it says "invalid files"...:S

Plus, if i want to share photos from my 3d bloggie on my blog,
between jpeg and mpo, which one should i upload so people can see them in 3d at their home?
i am so confused..sorry

Last edited by nylonmoon on 22 May 2011, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 May 2011, 14:10 
Site Admin

For Mac you can convert the MPO files in different formats and do some basic adjusting and tweaking with the help of the free software Stereo Splicer - http://web.me.com/ijunji/Challenge!_REAL_3D_and_Mac_E/StereoSplicer.html

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2013, 21:02 

Bloody wrote:
Well, even without stabilization the 3D video from the moving car is quite Ok.

How is the performance i n low light conditions, I doubt that the
flashlight is doing very good?

It's good to be careful with some of the lights. For example put the light full charged.