All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Re: The future of 3D?
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 23:06 

What will make or break 3d at the consumer level will be end-user content. If there is nothing out there to make 3d worthwhile for the average consumer then it will slowly fade back into the shadows of something that is amazing but not fully understood. Also, the technology has to keep in step with other technologies. As in if 4k resolution video and monitors are the next big thing then 3d will have to scale with it or be left behind. I am hoping that OLED technology will be what saves 3d as far as standardizing a display type in that eventualy LCD's and LED backlit LCD's will be fazed out in favour of a display technology that could eliminate ghosting and allow for almost IPS type colour reproduction. http://www.dpreview.com/articles/712222 ... on-to-oled Basically what I am saying is that we need more 3d content, although 3d gaming is pretty much the best thing ever, people still need stuff to look at for it not to be just a gimmick as a lot of people see it. And there also needs to be a set of standards or protocals that would allow companies to maintain a level of availability to for all stereo devices. This might be lame and counter-production in theory but it seems to work as far as consumer technology is concerned, an example would be why HD t.v.s are all 1080p or why we have bluray players instead of HD dvd's and so on.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 03:13 

I think 3D and S3D is already made; it is here to stay. It is just a matter of how it can be served up. There is even R&D on holographic delivery. "Star Wars" is being made into 3D so the depth of content will be there in a few years. I see this as better than putting old movies on Bluray, for me there is nothing really added when that is done. But old movies made into 3D adds another dimension(pun intended).

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2012, 18:01 

Hi all out there , we find this subject on 3d very interesting.
We have posted our first item on 3d in this section > > > under the title / heading

:shock: :roll: :idea: :idea: HIGHLY ADVANCED 3D TECHNOLOGY , YOUR THOUGHTS on this PLEASE .

It was posted in this section > > > on 16th March 2012 , you will all find it if you go through "TOPICS" by going up to later additions in this part.

WE WOULD WELCOME YOUR SERIOUS COMMENTS ON THIS ONE. The contents in our first item deal with much in this [ the above ] topic.
:idea: :roll: :D

PostPosted: 16 May 2012, 13:52 

^^ Spambot ? ^^

Head-tracking / parallax simulation is finally starting to take off,

Sony are working on it with the Playstation Eye (last paragraph):

http://www.3dfocus.co.uk/3d-news-2/3d-g ... aming/7779

Also, this free apps turns your phone into a 3D HMD with head tracking!

http://projects.ict.usc.edu/mxr/diy/fov2go/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... n5ov-DKBMA

8-)

PostPosted: 31 May 2012, 15:42 

John Carmack (id) is backing development of a cheap HMD:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/30/30521 ... -with-john

and NHK is working on a lenticular / plenoptic 3D system that lets you "look around" objects:

http://www.3dfocus.co.uk/glasses-free-3 ... 3d-tv/8626

8-)

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2012, 14:42 

This how the future of 3D is shown by by two student filmmakers Eran May-raz and Daniel Lazo. Perfect!

http://vimeo.com/46304267

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012, 15:31 

By the way, I have found an article about the graduation project I mentioned in my previous post:

http://3dblog.org/everything-is-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder/

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 03:58 

ProfD wrote:
I actually don't think holograms are better than a 3d screen unless they are also eye shuttered or somehow focused beam on the eyes.

The problem with a hologram cube is you only have the depth available of the cube itself. This will not give the same horizon effect or sense of reality. To get sucked into 3d effect you need to have a sense of vast scale. not little tiny play toys.

Now a set of very very high definition glasses which covered each eyes full range like an egg shell over each eye with head and retina tracking is the most immersion i can think think of. It wont actually be that hard if we can get the pixel count up and means say goodbye to big screens for movies or games :)

Remember in the 90's when they tried to kick VR headsets off but they were a bit rubbish?

Sega did release a Hologram arcade game called Time Traveler in the early 90s. Some operators made their money back on the 1st weekend. Then they never released another one for some odd reason

Asus Rog Crosshair V FX- 8350 4390 1.32 volts :)-GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts-XFX (2) HD5750-ViewSonic VX2439wm-Acer GD235HZ-SyncMaster P2350-Current Mode:5760x1080-Asus Geforce GTX 660 DirectCU II Oc-Nvidia wired 3d

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 04:11 

The future of 3d is this. Gamers don't like change whatsoever. My example is how many street fighter 2's came out? Not to mention 19 mortal kombats. The 2nd was the best one,I spent idk how many qtrs playing it. It will be a slow transition, unless the home consoles get a hold of the rift and make games strictly for it (not ports). Home consoles are declining every year and if they don't do something, tablets will be the next style of gaming. Then console gamers can finally understand why us computer gamers hate "console port" games.

Asus Rog Crosshair V FX- 8350 4390 1.32 volts :)-GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts-XFX (2) HD5750-ViewSonic VX2439wm-Acer GD235HZ-SyncMaster P2350-Current Mode:5760x1080-Asus Geforce GTX 660 DirectCU II Oc-Nvidia wired 3d

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2013, 09:19 

the problem with 3D and particularly sterescopic vision is : it is not a product, it is a bunch of technologies serving a purpose. So even if everybody is pleased with the idea of seeing hi favorite content, there are so many ways to create and display , and none of these ways is really ok up to now.
Autostereoscopic is clearly the most evident, unfortunately it is the most difficult, because you need more than the 2 usual views and probably you need eye tracking also.
So for most people, 3D vision does not exist yet, because the usual tricks we use today (mostly the fact to wear glasses) are not acceptable.
But there is another problem. Content.
If people in early age of photography or cinema stopped to shoot movies because after all , "shooting in black and white is useless, better to wait when it will be in color", we would not have made the experiences and progresses required to developp this industry and we would get no pictures of our past.
So fortunately if we know that stereoscopic is far from perfect, it gives pretty neat results and leads the quest for finding a better way to shoot and a better way to display. And more important it records content today.