All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: 3d Blu-ray on 120hz 1680 x 1050 Viewsonic Monitor
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2012, 15:53 

This may seem stupid of me to ask, but id really like to convert a 3d blu-ray to mkv file at 720p and watch it on my pure 120 hz viewsonic monitor (1680 x 1050). I do realize that a simple solution would be to just buy a 1080 monitor, but it doesnt make sense to do that when there are giant 1080p 3d tvs out there. But its not like i can just go pick one up at the store. So in the meantime id love to convert 3d blu rays to 720 and watch them on my 3d monitor. I have power dvd ultra 11. Would i use that or a diff program if this is even possible? Also another solution would be to get a regular 3d dvd (non blu-ray) but i have no idea where to get one of those. Or maybe a regular dvd and convert it to 3d if thats even possible. Any light on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: 3d Blu-ray on 120hz 1680 x 1050 Viewsonic Monitor
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2012, 11:34 
Site Admin

Why do you need to convert the 3D Blu-ray to 720p in the first place?

You only need to have AnyDVD HD installed to circumvent the HDCP protection, something that your monitor does not support at 120Hz unlike the later 1080p models on the market and you can directly watch the movie from the Blu-ray 3D media.

http://3dvision-blog.com/3019-playing-blu-ray-3d-movies-on-a-120hz-3d-ready-lcd-monitor/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2012, 15:53 

Ok i figured out a solution. And it actually isnt a hdcp problem since my vid card and monitor are both hdcp compliant. Figured id post my results here. I honestly didnt think it was going to be this easy, which is why i posted in the first place. So in order to change your 2d content to 3d you just hit the 3d button on powerdvd and configure your settings (under display set it to nvidia 3d monitor). This goes for regular dvds, and all high def mkvs, avi files, pretty much anything thats a video file can be converted to 3d using powerdvd. However, at first i got the screen where there is a vertical line going down the middle and there are duplicate images on the left and right but hitting the button on the ir pyramid converted the two on screen images to 3d. Ctrl + T (shortcut to turn 3d on or off) did not create this effect. So if your seeing an image on the right then one on the left with a vertical line running down the middle then try hitting the button on the ir receiver. Here is the link i used,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i9uau8gKLk

As for playing blu-ray discs and converting them to 3d, I had to convert my blu ray discs to an mkv file first using dvdfab. My screen wont play a blu ray because it is not a 1080p screen. When i try to play a blu ray on a 1680 by 1050 screen i get the dreaded gray snowy screen of death. I read somewhere that you cannot put a blu ray in your drive and have it play at 720p. You have to convert it to an mkv file in order to play it on a 1680 x 1050 screen.

Whats weird is that the mp4 video files that ive dled off the interwebs says its 1080p but when i open it using powerdvd it runs fine. When i try to play a blu ray on a 1680 by 1050 it will not work.

So basically now i have a 3d video player for all the movies that i own. Mission accomplished! 8-)

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2012, 17:51 

Sorry for the double post, but i was able to get my hands on a 3d mkv file of cars 2 at 1080p. I will never try to convert a non 3d movie again. My jaw is on the floor and my brain is doing cartwheels! :lol:

P.S. Also love how on the nvidia site it says 3d blu ray not available with my screen, well they should have a column for 1080p 3d mkv files with a nice green check mark next to it.