All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Real Time streo matching
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2011, 22:22 

Hi,
Does anyone know if there is an off-the-shelf product that can accept two video sources and can compute depth map in real time using the left and the right input image sensors in real time? Is there an ASIC (or FPGA) which can be used to create such a device?
I would appreciate any input
Thank you

Post subject: Re: Real Time streo matching
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2011, 09:00 
Site Admin

There are some professional products that can analyze in real time stereoscopic 3D video input.

A software example for such product is Cel-Soft's Cel-Scope 3D: http://www.cel-soft.com/celscope3d/

There are also some hardware implementations, but I don't think that anyone is offering modules that you could use to do that without you doing all the programming for the image processing...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2011, 23:20 

but depending your project, you can cheat by not computing the depth map, but simply by shooting it.
this is usually done with an additional infrared camera giving a depth map from an IR illuminator.
the use of this is limited to situation where you can control the lighting (no shot in Bright sun, or very far object for example).

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2011, 16:54 

Thanks,

Could you elaborate on this approach, since I do not understand the concept? I have complete control over the lighting and can manipulate it however I want.

Thanks