All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Ghosting/Crosstalk comes from Glasses
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 17:21 

As posted on http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1260827

I had the feeling it could be that, then I was able to test this with the 3D Vision system.

When the 3D Vision glasses are about to shut down, the left eye blink half a second ON, half a second OFF about 5-6 times. This is much longer than blinking 60 times a second.

In this half a second where the LCD are set to block the light, I was able to see bright parts of the screen and this could explain why we see ghosting/crosstalk with any current 3D TV/Monitors.

I believe the next big improvement will have to come from the glasses and this is somewhat great news, as all curent 3D TV/Monitors are actually doing a good job for delivering 3D. While a firmware can offer some very small improvment on this, I believe it's the glasses that need to be worked on. They will need to find a way to properly block the light more effectively. In the pasts years they were able to improve LCD TVs in a lot of way, Plasma also with better phosphor and such and now it's time someone focus on glasses.

Now if I could find a trick on the 3D Vision set to manually control the glasses state, it would be easier to demonstrate. Something that should be easier to do than with any 3D TV set.

P.S. Maybe Bloody will have some spare time to play with this? ;) Trying to take a shot with the camera in the .5 second duration.

Last edited by Rhialto on 05 Jul 2010, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ghosting/Crosstalk comes from Glasses
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 19:44 
Site Admin

You are right that the glasses are responsible for some of the ghosting, but it is not only them... The 3D Vision glasses were probably developed more than two years ago already and while they might've been quite good when they were released, I've already seen some better implementations from different TV manufacturers, so we need new and improved glasses - better synchronization and blocking less light are a must.

However we also need further improved LCD panels with faster response for the full color spectrum as the current generation of 120Hz panels rated at 2-3 milliseconds actually can't achieve such fast response over the full color spectrum they reproduce. And even for what they can currently do they need to use Overdrive and that as well results in some not so desired effects in both normal 2D and in stereo 3D mode.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 22:35 

yesterday i've tried samsung glasses with samsung 3d TV....they feel much better then 3D Vision glasses...even if some people says that Panasonic's are better...

with these glasses on i was almost unable to see the flickering...

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 14:50 

Nicola87 wrote:
yesterday i've tried samsung glasses with samsung 3d TV....they feel much better then 3D Vision glasses...even if some people says that Panasonic's are better...

with these glasses on i was almost unable to see the flickering...

I wasn't discussing the flickering... btw, have you tried to tilt your head? Heard the colors shift or one eye become darker and sync can even be lost while the Panasonic works in every condition.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2010, 22:30 

Quote:
Heard the colors shift or one eye become darker and sync can even be lost while the Panasonic works in every condition.

i've heard that too...there are some videos that show this behaviour but i didn't try by myself...i forgot! :D

Quote:
I wasn't discussing the flickering...

i know, but in my opinion less flickering means that glasses are getting better...