All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: MKV 3D file player
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 07:45 

Hi,

I am looking for a media player which plays (downloaded) 3D MKV-files.
Explanation: I have a 3D Blu-Ray player connected to the 3D-VIP Theatre and this connected to an Optoma HD8200 (NOT 3D)projector.
This works super but only with 3D Blu-Rays.
On my 3D Blu-Ray player I have a USB-port and have an external HD of 2TB connected and can play all media-files perfectly.
Only problem is that the 3D Blu-Ray player doesn't recognize the SBS 3D MKV-file and shows it as a normal file (so 2 images side by side)

Now I am looking for a device with an USB-port where I can attached my 2TB hard-disk and play the 3D MKV-file and gives the same output as a 3D Blu-Ray player.

I hope I explained myself clearly enough.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: MKV 3D file player
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 08:39 
Site Admin

There are not much standalone players that do support 3D video playback from different movie formats, but you can check this one out: Popcorn Hour C-200

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 12:47 

Thanks for your reply.

I found also this on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=280771136361&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT) but I am not sure about this.

How do most people watch the downloaded 3D movies?

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 16:39 
Site Admin

Building an HTPC would be the best way to have maximum compatibility...

While it sounds cool to have a standalone multimedia player with 3D support, they are quite limited in terms of supported formats and features... with one of the reasons being the fact that hardware inside was not meant to support 3D output originally and may have trouble decoding high resolution and bitrate stereo 3D videos.

Also you should be very careful with these unknown Chinese products and brands not to get something cheap that will not do what you were expecting it to. The one you have linked to for example does not have HDMI 1.4 support, so the output from it will not be automatically recognized as a 3D one and you will have to switch manually the HDTV to 3D mode. If it does have any kind of 3D support at all as the listed specifications are not giving much information about that...

Profile WWW