All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: LG Optimus P920 3D - filling it!!!
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2011, 14:45 

Hi,

Partly after Bloody's favorable comments on it, I've decided to get an LD 3D phone. After a week with it, I came to two conclusions: I do not like Android and it is very hard to get new 3D content for it.
My Android complains are not relevant here and are due to being used to Symbian.

As for the other, I need your help. I'm trying to get 3D video and photos from other sources and I'm having lots of problems.

Photos: I also own a Loreo3D camera and lots of personal photos made with it. I crop them (if possible) so that they have an aspect ratio around 4/3. Originally they are parallel .jpg, suposedly the phone admits .jps and .mpo and I've tried both with unpleasant results.
The .mpo at first show as a single image, and I have to press the 3D button, but it seems that it is doing a simple 2D->3D conversion.
The .jps show in 3D, but the depth goes bonkers. It may seem silly, but I still do not know if the .jps images are side-by-side parallel or crossview, but I've tried both (with SPM) and they are no good.

Videos: Complete disaster. The demos that come with the phone are DRM protected, so I cannot see their specs. The three gametrailers from gameloft are halfSBS .mp4 at 800x480 and show, err, side by side.

I've googled and found someone that says that the youtube3D version of the german trailer of Avatar works in 3D. I found it, downloaded the .mp4 an it is true. Bloody says here http://3dvision-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6048#p6048 that the specs are
Quote:
For LG's Optimus 3D it is MP4, 29.97 fps, 1280x720 (squahsed) Side by Side
the Avatar trailer is 24,99 fps (???????). I've tried both values and it stills shows side-by-side. It's driving me nuts! Any .mp4 flag needs to be set or something?
Besides, I found a lot of trouble muxing the .mp4 file. Muxing .mkv is easy, how do you do the same with .mp4? I'ved used SUPER@ for muxing, after converting the video with x264vfw and virtualdub and the audio with NeroAacEnc.exe

Last and (really) least, any new 3D games? I've gotten some from the market which may look good in 3D (Pinball Ride for example) but the phone ignores them. A 3D games machine with only four games seems a bit, err, short.

Thanks in advance

Oscar

Post subject: Re: LG Optimus P920 3D - filling it!!!
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2011, 15:13 
Site Admin

I didn't have the time to test with 3D photos and videos that were not recorded by the phone, these had no trouble playing on both the phone and on a 3D PC/TV. But Side by Side videos in squashed format should work, you should however take into account the resolution of the phone's display, so there is no point in converting a video with a resolution higher than 800x480 with half horizontal frames for the left and right eye as the phone will not be able to show the extra detail anyway.

For 3D games for the phone, Gameloft is selling a few extra titles that should work just fine, you can find them in their website, not sure if they are available on the market, but games that are listed as stereo 3D capable on the Android market may not work as they can refer to anaglyph only 3D support.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 11:07 

Thanks Bloody, but my problem lies not with the resolution of the videos. As a matter of fact, in the "gametrailers" folder in the internal card of the phone there are three .mp4 sbs at 800x480 which do not show in 3D either.

What is driving me crazy is that .mp4 downloaded from youtube DO SHOW IN 3D!!!!!!!!!
I am trying to replicate the specs, including (it is absurd, I know) downsampling the audio to 44.1 and I've got no result.

Now the last drop was that I uploaded some of them to youtube 3D (with the "yt3d:enable=true" tag, of course), test that they show in 3D on my computer, re-downloaded them and still do not show in 3D in my phone (others downloaded from other people do, I insist).

Here i put you some samples, if you have time to try them an tell me your progress.

Here is an .mp4 recoded and muxed by me on my computer, to the same specs:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PKGU7OMX
Here is one I uploded and shows in 3D in the computer, but not in the phone when re-downloaded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mukQbcEEeLY

And, in case you do not know which one to download as example, here is the german Avatar trailer which indeed works
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2MMLLXVX

I feel that this dammned phone is mocking me. Any cue on a good program to mux .mp4 files? Maybe they need a 3D flag or something.

Thanks

Oscar

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2011, 11:42 
Site Admin

This is strange, because the game trailers did work without problems on the test unit I've had, unfortunately I had already returned it, so I'm not able to try what specs will work or not...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2011, 00:25 

Hi guys,

I've just joined this forum having been directed here by someone on another 3d forum.

I have had the LG Optimus P920 3D for a week and have exactly the same problem! I am very experienced in 3d video work and bought the phone specificallt to use for portable video clips of my own productions. Speaking to a couple of other owners on the other forum, I am convinced that they are seeing more options in the 3d settings than I am, which would suggest that there are some basic differences in the software on the latest phones.

I have emailed details of the problem to Optimus and will report back if I get any response.

Roger

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2011, 23:19 

OK I have found the answer, at least it works for me :D

You can only run your own sbs videos in full screen 3d on the phone if you load them into the same folder as the original pre-loaded video files. That is in the 'etc' folder.

Your own file needs to be in squashed sbs mp4 and transfer straight into the etc folder on the phone. Then select the video player and locate your file, having selected it, tap the 3d icon, then double tap the menu button at the left hand bottom position on the phone's main frame. You should then see a 3d option panel with several options. Select the left/right option, then 'ok' and the video will now show correctly. These options only seem to appear when there is an unprocessed sbs file in the etc folder and once you have processed it, the phone will recognise it automatically.

There are no instructions or references to this procedure in the manual and the LG support team don't seem to know anything about it. I have now converted several files with no problem, so it definitely works.

Roger

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 02:46 

"You can only run your own sbs videos in full screen 3d on the phone if you load them into the same folder as the original pre-loaded video files. That is in the 'etc' folder."

This is incorrect. While it is correct that you can play your own videos in 3D full screen if you place them in the etc. folder where the stock 3D videos are located, you can also create the same set of folders on your sd card, put them in the etc. folder on the sd card and you can play full screen 3D sbs videos from there. That gives you up to 32 GB of space for your own videos. The player will see the videos in both etc folders and treat them the same.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 14:54 

Oscar, I hope that you are now able to get your own SBS files playing successfully and are enjoying the superb 3d playback facilities.

Mark has updated my post with new information that if you want to put your videos on an sd card, that appears to be perfectly possible by duplicating the internal video file structure onto your own card, giving as he says much more storage space.

It would also seem that my concerns about a newer version of the software affecting the 3d format possibilities was thankfully unfounded, although I still haven't heard back from LG yet about any of my queries. A word of warning though, before upgrading the phones software, have a good read of the Optimus 3d section of the Android users website as it appears there are some issues that can affect your phone.

I'm off to try Mark's suggestion of duplicating the files,

Roger

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 19:27 

Thanks a lot Roger and Mark, it WORKS!
And Bloody too, of course. Pity you fo not have the phone anymore.
In brief, there are four steps:
1- Convert your videos to .mp4 at 1280x720 (I', using Handbrake, any better suggestions?)
2- Make a folder in the SD car called "etc", you can make subfolders thehe (I've made one calles "Videos")
3- Copy your .mp4 there
4- Open with the standard player, choose 3D mode, open menu and a "3D format" options appears

I stll think there is a "hidden flag" embbeded somewhere in the -mp3 vídeo. I downloaded some youtube3D videos and they worked fine without modifications. Then I tried to upload mine and found that they work in three conditions:
1- Upload your SBS video in any format (youtube converts it)
2- Add the "yt3d:enable=true" tag
3- Edit the video properties and select paralell view or whatever

Now you can download the 720p .mp4 as ever.

Anyone can find info on the "3D flag"? I've been coding digital video for almost twenty years (Philips CD-y remeber anyone?) and I found this frustrating

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2011, 20:25 

Oscar I haven't tried yet, but I think Mark suggested on another forum that the player will also handle 1920x1080 sbs video, so it may be worth trying that aswell.

There are a number of free programmes for video conversion and I downloaded this one recently which works well http://www.freemake.com/

Roger