All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: In need of merging two component signals... hardware?
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011, 19:10 

Hello [everyone in a forum I have never posted in before]!

I am still slowly crawling into the world of stereoscopic 3D but I have a few projects which seem to become more expensive and harder to pull off the more I think about them.

One of them is a visual experience project. I have two cameras outputting component signals and I want to combine those two signals into one HDMI 1.4a signal so it can be viewed live on a 3D capable display. As it's analog to digital conversion it has to be an active converter and I'm guessing that a product like that might not even exist, or it is super specialized and thus super expensive :P

So yeah, the question, is there a device that can merge two component signals into an HDMI 3D signal?

*hmmmm*

When thinking about it an alternative method would be to take it in steps. First to merge two component signals into a side by side or interlaced (etc) analog signal, and then to convert that single signal into a digital HDMI signal...

Any thoughts on all of this? :x

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: In need of merging two component signals... hardware?
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2011, 22:25 
Site Admin

Two of these might be able to help you get the video streams captured.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/videorecorder/

Then with the help of something like this setup you might be able to stream/capture the two video streams:
http://3dvision-blog.com/dual-camera-rig-live-stereoscopic-3d-preview-and-alignment-method/

And after you get the two full frames for the left and for the right eye you may consider how to output them in HDMI 1.4 frame packaged format...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2011, 00:13 

Ah, that would probably work in a way but perhaps not like I planned to, I was in a slight hurry last time, which I guess I am now too... but let me elaborate xD

I am using two GoPro cameras which I already own, which can do component out, and my... well, fluffy fantasy plan is to use the just announced non-prototype Sony HMD for three different setups :3 at least if the price does not get too crazy when it gets here to Europe.

The entire idea is for it to be a portable walk around kit... for crazy experiences. Not sure if it'll work good with the near-fisheye lenses of the GoPro cameras, the idea hatched in my head recently but then I was looking at the Vuzix Wrap 1200. What makes the Sony product so interesting is the 45 degrees of horizontal field of view as well as the awesome OLED panels.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2011, 11:13 
Site Admin

And you want to be able to connect the 3D output from the two cameras directly to the HDMI 1.4 input on the Sony HMD display? I don't think this can be done without having a capture device connected to a PC. Maybe with a small form factor computer you can have a portable system to do that, capture the two independent video streams, and output them over HDMI 1.4 to the HMD. But this would require a bit of tinkering and trying out a few things in order to confirm for sure that it will work with the specified solution.

If the above solution with the Stereoscopic Multiplexer works out you might be able to send the output using HDMI 1.4 frame packaged output with a compatible ATI/AMD-based video card with the help of the Stereoscopic Player. And if the HMD is supported through the Nvidia 3DTV Play software you might also be able to use the Stereoscopic Player or the 3D Vision Video Player to also output according to the HDMI 1.4 specs to the 3D Visor. This of course goes for making a kind of real-time processing of the input video and outputting it to the Sony HMD, if it won't be done in real-time or nearly real-time you might have more options available...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011, 20:50 

I came across a brand of video converters, and while the products sure exist, they are expensive and both too good and not good enough :P

http://www.aja.com/products/converters/ ... i-d10a.php <- overkill converter for component to SDI. (Analog to Serial)
http://www.aja.com/products/converters/ ... -hi53d.php <- converter for 2xSDI to HDMI 1.4 in stereo 3D (Serial to Digital)

The component converter has a bunch of extra ports probably making it way more useful for professionals but also more expensive for everyone.
The HDMI converter can do 720p60 but only in top/bottom compression mode, and in framepacked mode it can at the most do 1080p24... while the standard for 1.4a supports 720p60 framepacked.

A single component converter costs €650 here in Sweden, and that is without a power supply, so it ends up not really being an option for me :P blah.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 10:10 

you better will find a sony TD10 for cheap (about $1200) so you get direct 3d HDMI out .
I am not sure if these even cheaper Sony 3D (bloggie) or Aiptek 3D HD Camcorder camera have a direct 3D output.