All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Which blueray player?
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2010, 03:31 

I have done some research and havent found any real clear cut answer about what type of Blueray player is needed with 3D vision to watch 3D movies on the PC.

Is any standard internal blueray player fine as long as you have something like PowerDVD 10 Ultimate?

I did a search on Newegg.com looking for a 3D blueray player but dont see anything that is specific to 3D.

I did find one drive somewhere on the internet that said it was capable of playing 3D blueray movies but I can not find the link to it.

Anyone have any info?

Post subject: Re: Which blueray player
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2010, 08:01 

Any Blu-ray player that is 2x read or greater (every single one on market) is compatible with Blu-ray 3D.

I recommend Arcsoft Total Media Theatre Platinum with Sim3D plugin for your 3D Blu-ray playback needs.

Post subject: Re: Which blueray player?
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 22:06 

Thanks for the info. I will check out the software.

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 10:33 
Site Admin

You also have the option to use PowerDVD 10 Ultra Mark II for Blu-ray 3D playback with two other solutions hopefully coming soon...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 16:28 

Is there an over all opinion on which software is better or has more features?

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2010, 01:07 

nickm324 wrote:
Is there an over all opinion on which software is better or has more features?

I've always enjoyed TMT.

Features it has over PDVD:

-Supports lossless audio bitstream over Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 cards
-Supports HD DVD dics and folder rips
-Supports Blu-ray folder rips (PDVD only supports ISO)

I also think Arcsoft has great customer support and is constantly adding user requested features. They are working on getting TMT to output frame-sequential 720p without the need for the NVIDIA drivers.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010, 19:00 

I just bought a Panasonic 3d Tv. It came with the low end blue-ray player (dbt100). I think I should upgrade to either a 300 or 350. I also need a new receiver. I've looked at cnet.com and consumer reports and I've not come to any clear conclusions. I've also seen some deals on Sony receivers and DVD players bundled. I'd appreciate advice. Thanks.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 10:25 

Dreps wrote:
I just bought a Panasonic 3d Tv. It came with the low end blue-ray player (dbt100). I think I should upgrade to either a 300 or 350. I also need a new receiver. I've looked at cnet.com and consumer reports and I've not come to any clear conclusions. I've also seen some deals on Sony receivers and DVD players bundled. I'd appreciate advice. Thanks.

I bought the Sony HD3DTV bundle which included a BluRay 3D player S470 model. The sales man told me that not all BluRay players will play 3D !! I took his advice and got the recommended one. It can connect to the network either via an RJ45 cable or through a Sony WiFi dongle (which I do) The player then can connect to all sorts of web based audio and video sites, including Youtube, BBC Iplayer and about 8 or 9 others. Many of which need a subscription. It has a USB input which is extremely useful for quickly viewing photos or video clips. The player is DLNA capable, which means you can stream files from your PC directly onto your TV. In my case it needs Win 7 and Media Player 11 on the PC.

In conclusion I have been extremely satisfied with the whole system, my only disappointment is that it does not automatically detect 3D content unless it's formatted with an MVC encoder. But that is a minor issue as it can play 3D by selecting it manually.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2010, 12:24 
Site Admin

Dreps, you should be careful when choosing a receiver as it needs to support HDMI 1.4 in order to be able to pass 3D content through it. So you should check Panasonic's website for 3D-capable receivers if you want it to match the brand of the TV and Blu-ray 3D player of course as there are already quite a few options from other brands too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2010, 07:33 

Do you know if these two other software options you mentioned are out?

Bloody wrote:
You also have the option to use PowerDVD 10 Ultra Mark II for Blu-ray 3D playback with two other solutions hopefully coming soon...