All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Software Blu-ray 3D Video Players with Support for 3D Vision
PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 20:54 
Site Admin

NVIDIA has been working closely with the leading movie playback software developers, including Arcsoft (TotalMedia Theatre), Corel (WinDVD), Cyberlink (PowerDVD Ultra) and Sonic (Roxio CinePlayer BD), to ensure seamless support for 3D Blu-ray titles when they are ready to ship later this year. These software players for PC should be compatible with 3D Vision for watching Blu-ray 3D movies when they become available separately, as currently you can get the movie Monsters vs Aliens only as a part of a bundle with Samsung glasses, Blu-ray 3D hardware player or 3D TV set. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is going to be the first normally sold movie title, also animation, that should be available separately and of course probably bundled with 3D hardware from Sony.

Besides support for Blu-ray 3D playback on 3D Vision there should also be a GPU-acceleration in the decoding of the AVC-MVC compression that is going to be used by the Blu-ray 3D discs on compatible GeForce-based video cards. And this is to be expected as in order to achieve stereoscopic 3D at Full HD resolution you'll have to increase the video data up to doubling the information, which in turn will be making it harder to decompress in real time without additional acceleration (fast multi-core CPUs should be able handle the work even without GPU acceleration). The good thing is that the Blu-ray 3D specifications should be able to take advantage of different 3D display technologies, such as frame-sequential with active shutter glasses like 3D Vision, but will also work on passive polarized displays. And of course the software Blu-ray 3D players will also be able to support other stereo 3D technologies and not only work with 3D Vision.

So once again what software to watch for Blu-ray 3D support:
- Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre
- Corel WinDVD
- Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra
- Sonic Roxio CinePlayer BD

So far only Cyberlink has released a new version of PowerDVD Ultra that has some support for stereo 3D output with DVD Video 2D to 3D conversion, but the part for decoding Blu-ray 3D movies will be available in the summer in the form of an update for some of the versions of the player. So at this moment there is not even one software player that will be able to playback Blu-ray 3D movies on your PC, but the mentioned above four solutions should all be ready for the summer...

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Software Blu-ray 3D Video Players with Support for 3D Vi
PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 19:23 

I have the "proper" hardware and software in order to be 3D READY:
-> Software Cyberlink Power DVD 10 w/ all 3D stuffs;
-> nVidea 3D Vision
-> G-Force GTX 285 CARD
-> I7 Processor
-> Monitor 120hz
-> Blue Ray Drive (normal)

Will I be able to run 3D Blu-Ray movies on PC and watching them as of today I will need to buy a new 3D Blue Ray Drive for PC?
Any idea?

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 19:39 
Site Admin

I hope you got the Ultra 3D version of Power DVD 10 as it will be the only one capable of playing Blu-ray 3D movies, and I mean will be as soon as its update is released later sometime during the summer that will actually introduce the Blu-ray 3D support. As of this moment there is no software player available for the PC that can play Blu-ray 3D movies on 3D Vision or any other stereoscopic 3D setup...

As for your PC, it should be more than capable to play Blu-ray 3D movies, and you don't need a new Blu-ray drive for the PC. A normal BLu-ray player is enough for the PC to play back Blu-ray 3D movies, you just need the software player to be able to decode the content and that is it. You only need a new Blu-ray 3D player if you are going for a standalone device.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 22:09 

Got it! :) Let´s wait the Cyberlink upgrade for final ultimate Blu-ray 3D movies
Thank you!

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2010, 22:30 

i have issues with cyberlink as soon as i turn 3d support on and play a dvd 2d to 3d or try and open a 3d file my screen goes blank then flashes up the cursor then blank again, all i can do to stop it is eject the disc or ctrl del and reboot.

windows 7
8gb ram
i5 750
nvidia gtx 480

no other issues with my pc what so ever.

disabled most of windows strtup items

the nvidia player plays back 3d files fine as do games work 100%.

anyone have an ideas ? , done a op sys re-install lastest drivers etc etc, cyberlink are no help (is your pc switched on etc)